Mulberry question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DConnolly

Reaction score
My mulberry tree is putting out like crazy this year and I've got a good stock of berries in the freezer. I read in some of the other mulberry threads that the stems have too much tannin to leave them on. There's no way I'm removing the stems from that many berries and I don't have a steam juicer. How about mashing them then adding some boiling water and pectic enzyme and letting it sit for several days then straining before making up the must?

Dose them good with K-Meta, I would'nt let them sit longer than 48 hrs before I pitched the yeast. IMHO Steam juicing them makes a better wine. I can't tell you why, but I have tried it both ways. Don't add much water. My second batch was straight steamed juice and it came out very nice.

I froze my berries then transferred to colander and gave them a shake and the stems fell right off. Popped the berries in water and the stems floated to the top and I grabbed them right out.

Seeds and stems float to the top. I just fished them out mostly. I've seen a few recipes and some say remove the stems and others say don't bother, as it won't hurt anything. I wasn't too worried because the berries I have you can eat stem and all, and there isn't a flavor from the stems or seeds at all. Even when eating a hand full. I think that's why some do and some don't. It depends on your berries. The recipes I referenced in making mine, asked for no added tannin. My batch is just now about ready to rack off the secondary, but I did get a taste of it when siphoning off the primary, and though I'm not used to the taste of yeast, the after taste was great, and sweet. Good luck with whatever method you choose.

I'd remove as many stems as you reasonably can. I'd also suggest picking a recipe that has a high fruit content. I've made it a couple of times and it's one of my favorites. High fruit levels seems to really make this wine all it can be.

It does depend upon your variety of mulberry and the age of the tree also. I like getting the big black ones from young trees. Closer to the ground too. Freezing with a good mashing pectin enzyme, ferment on natural sugars and then finish off with additional sugar and nutrients etc. under air lock. If you have any spirit, I'd also cosider fortifying the juice straight away. One of my favourite fruits.

Really appreciate everyone's advice. Thought I'd have enough for a full 6 gallons but some heavy storms have ended my mulberry picking season. Planning on two one-gallon batches to test recipes then hopefully make a larger batch next year if I can gather enough fruit. My mulberries are large, very sweet and the stems are soft and have no flavor. When you eat them you don't even notice the stem. It's a native tree that was on the property when we built our house, but unfortunately when they were doing some grading they skimmed the roots pretty bad and the tree was stunted for years. This year it put out like crazy.

Anyway, the trick of jiggling them around in a strainer after freezing definitely snaps off most of the stems - that was a great trick. I'm going to use 8+ lbs. of fruit per gallon to try to use as little sugar and water as possible. I'll report back on the progress. I've got a WE merlot kit in the primary this week and as soon as it's racked I'm planning on starting with the mulberries.

Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back