Mulberry fermentation started without me...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DConnolly

Reaction score
I came up a little short on berries to do a 6 gallon batch so I decided to do some experimenting with 3 separate 1 gallon batches.
Batch 1 - 6 lbs fruit (fruit loose in primary)
Batch 2 - 9 lbs fruit (fermented on the fruit but bagged)
Batch 3 - 12 lbs fruit (not yet started but will probably be on bagged fruit)

Ever had the fermentation begin with wild yeast before pitching the wine yeast?

I thawed the berries overnight and added 1 campden tablet to each the next morning along with pectic enzyme and snapped air tight lids on both. 24 hours later I open them up and there's noticeable fermentation, a yeasty smell and CO2. I bake a lot of sourdough bread from a homemade starter so I'm familiar with how much wild yeast there is in the air. I was shocked that the little beasties shook off the campden tablet and got started without any oxygen. I made my water and sugar additions then pitched the wine yeast the next morning. Any reason why I should anticipate any problems or off flavors?

I believe it outta be just fine. Shouldn't have any problems with it. Don't know if I would even pitch store bought yeast in. Mite, but haven't had the chance to try it without. One of these days will try with wild yeasts, but havn't gotten around to it. Arne.

Yeast actually do quite well anaerobically. The majority of conventional wine yeasts will overtake and kill any wild yeasts, so I would not be too concerned. I wish I had the volume of mulberries that you had (discovered my source late in the season--but I will be ready next year!).

Thanks guys. I was at 1.015 this morning so I'll probably be racking tonight or in the morning. They both taste great so I don't anticipate any ill effects from the wild yeast.

Interestingly, tasted at this stage I notice very little difference between the one made with 6lbs vs. 9 lbs. I guess we'll see how they age. I removed the pulp bag on day 4 and fermented both with stems on.

A follow-up to my mulberry wine making....

Racked batches 1 and 2. Racked this weekend and tasted both. Very interesting that the batch with less berries but fermented on the loose fruit turned out much better than the one on more fruit but bagged and removed after a few days. Mouth feel was excellent so the tannins from the stems must have been just right...I wouldn't change a thing. This is really excellent wine - my favorite by far.

Started another 2 gallons last night on loose fruit from the last of last year's berries - about 15 lbs of fruit.

So six pounds per gallon of uncontained fruit is your favorite thus far? And how long did you leave fruit intact for this one? What was your original gravity and yeast?

Yes. Trust me, no one is more surprised than me. It stayed on the fruit until I racked it into the secondary. I'd have to check my notes but I think it was about 5 days. SG was 1.085 and the yeast was 71B. Compared to other berries I've fermented, it seems that mulberries are very strong structurally - maybe in the end I ended up with more juice because the PE and yeast had longer to extract the juice and sugars. I think that I could have something special if I bump up to 8 to 10 lbs of fruit per gallon and ferment on the loose berries.

Keep in mind that I never got around to batch number 3 at 12#/gal like I had planned.

If you get around to making another batch and want to experiment, try making a batch with straight steam juiced mulberry juice ( if you have a steam juicer ). IMHO it makes a better wine...... don't really know why....but to me it does.

BOB

Latest posts

Back