Moving after first racking with a vehicle?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SLOweather

Reaction score
Sunday we racked our first kit wine for the first time. (a chard) I'm concerned that the laundry room counter where it's sitting has too much temperature variation. I could put it under the counter, or I could move it down the hill to our unheated cabin for a cooler, more stable secondary fermentation. To do so would mean a 1 mile ride in the back of the Mule.

Suggestions?

I would say if your going to move it you should do it soon. Moving it will stir everything up in it, and since you just racked it, it's stirred up already. I would take me chances at moving it rather than it sit it the laundry room. The temperature changes too much in there and could disturb the wine more that a move. Good luck

My only concern with moving it to a cooler location is that you might have difficulty clearing it, unless you have electricity and a brew belt or some other means of warming it up.
I'm glad you will be moving it "in a mule" and not "on a mule"! LOL

Sunday we racked our first kit wine for the first time. (a chard) I'm concerned that the laundry room counter where it's sitting has too much temperature variation. I could put it under the counter, or I could move it down the hill to our unheated cabin for a cooler, more stable secondary fermentation. To do so would mean a 1 mile ride in the back of the Mule.

Suggestions?
Personally I think the wine should stay warm thru clearing (at minimum). This helps to ensure that fermentation completes and that the wine degasses effectively.

I don't know which kit you are making (please ALWAYS tell us), but most instructions do not suggest a cool secondary.

Steve

Last edited:
I agree with steve - cooling it down at this point is a bit premature. Clearing and degassing will suffer, plus it ensures that the fermentation is done - as lower temps can slow the fermenation down or stop it - once it warms back up - fermentation starts up.

Love the title of the thread- how do you rack wine with a vehicle?

You get a carboy bung with 2 holes... In one goes a tube and tubing to the primary fermenter. A tube in the other one goes to a vacuum line pulled off the engine. Put the bung in the carboy and start the engine. Presto... Redneck vacuum pump...

((Dang, I usually pay closer attention to structure and grammar...)

The kit is RJS Cru Select New Zealand Unoaked Chardonnay. This time of year the cabin hovers in the high 50s to 60.

And I'm convinced to leave the carboy in the laundry room. I can stick it under the counter in a kneewell out of the sun where the temp will be more stable.

Latest posts

Back