Moving a carboy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arh13p

Reaction score
I will be moving into a new home in three weeks. I have four 5 gal carboys already cleared and bulk aging. Is there a problem with racking the week I am going to leave then moving them to the new location to finish aging? What should I do?

I think that would be bes assuming all fermentation has stopped. If it has cleared to the point that it has no sediment, I wouldn't bother.

I will be moving into a new home in three weeks. I have four 5 gal carboys already cleared and bulk aging. Is there a problem with racking the week I am going to leave then moving them to the new location to finish aging? What should I do?

I like the idea of racking prior to leaving - any sediment in the wine will definitely be disturbed while traveling.
You need to explain a little more -
like are you personally traveling with them or a moving company
how long is the trip - and where - the moving van will get quite hot during the day and will bounce around alot more due to the stiffness in suspension.
How are you planning on insulating the carboys -?

I am only moving 15 minutes away. The wine is at 66 degrees and I am moving my self. . I plan to just put in my vehicle and drive the to the new location. 20 minutes top

I am only moving 15 minutes away. The wine is at 66 degrees and I am moving my self. . I plan to just put in my vehicle and drive the to the new location. 20 minutes top

Just wrap them well - so they don't hit each other or anything else and treat them like newborn babies and you will be fine.

Just to add to what the others have said...

I would get a number of #16 tapered cork stoppers. they are inexpensive and would work better than a fermentation trap during transport.

johnT.

An alternative to the cork stoppers suggested by John would be water bottle caps (the 5 gal bottles). I use these on my empty carboys when they are sitting with kmeta in them. They seal well and are usually readily available for little or no cost.

Water bottle caps? Tell me about these caps? Do they work with 5 gallon better bottles?

These are the caps used on the large bottles of water sold by many vendors. They fit glass carboys but would be too small for a better bottle - I think they take something like a number 11 bung vs a no. 6.5/7 for glass.
These are the two types I use.

image.jpg

Just put a solid stopper in or a carboy cap and go ahead and move them. I moved a port that i've been working on from Florida to Pennsylvania with no ill effects. It was a 5 gallon carboy and it fit perfectly into a 6 gallon juice bucket. You might want to fit them into a milk crate or bucket to protect them from bumping into something.

Latest posts

Back