Moonshiner's muscadine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you jswordy for a great thread. Makes me want to make a batch. After going thru the whole thread I realize I have no idea what a muscadine is. This is what happens when you grow up in the suburbs of NJ. Here's a link explaining muscadine for those who are as provincial as me. http://voices.yahoo.com/learning-love-muscadine-wine-5123369.html?cat=5

I'm gonna track some down and put on some Ray Charles "Georgia" or maybe Randy Newman "Birmingham".

Thank you jswordy for a great thread. Makes me want to make a batch. After going thru the whole thread I realize I have no idea what a muscadine is. This is what happens when you grow up in the suburbs of NJ. Here's a link explaining muscadine for those who are as provincial as me. http://voices.yahoo.com/learning-love-muscadine-wine-5123369.html?cat=5

I'm gonna track some down and put on some Ray Charles "Georgia" or maybe Randy Newman "Birmingham".

You might try this winery: http://www.monteaglewinery.com/Index.cfm?PageID=1546 As you can see, they make 3 muscadines. I don't know if they ship.

Bet you can find some muscadine grapes in New Jersey. They do grow in the Delaware River region. You might have to inquire around and find them growing wild. I'd say your blogger sampled a type of muscadine wine, but believe me there are many types from ultra-dry to super-sweet, and not all are forward grape. The muscadine has also been derided among some wine snobs as "foxy" in taste. But it depends on how it was made.

I'm onto something with this recipe, I believe. We'll see.

Last edited:
Get on the Chattanooga Choo Choo and visit Georgia Winery http://www.georgiawines.com/shop/ at Ringgold Georgia, a suburb on the south edge of Chattanooga. They have good muscadine wine, something that can't be said for many wineries that make muscadine wine.

A small sample of the Bell Bottom Blues tastes marvelous, with an excellent full blueberry nose followed by a rounded fruit palette with supporting vinosity from the grapes and a sweet finish. A good dessert wine. If it stays like this another month, I am not touching it. Directly into the bottle it goes!

I have about a gallon of the second-pressing muscadine in the fridge and am thinking about pouring it off the lees, stabilizing, adding some oak for a week, then bottling it as well.

Great thread!!! :try
I discovered Muscadine wines about two years ago, and by far they are one of my favorites....I should clarify that....Duplin Vinyards (Rose Hill, NC) Muscadine wines are the ONLY Muscadine wines I have tried, and I really like them.
That's the only Muscadine wines I can find for purchase in my area (Northern Maryland)
Anyway, I'm going to try and locate some Muscadine grapes and make myself a batch. No luck finding a vendor yet.

Great thread!!! :try
I discovered Muscadine wines about two years ago, and by far they are one of my favorites....I should clarify that....Duplin Vinyards (Rose Hill, NC) Muscadine wines are the ONLY Muscadine wines I have tried, and I really like them.
That's the only Muscadine wines I can find for purchase in my area (Northern Maryland)
Anyway, I'm going to try and locate some Muscadine grapes and make myself a batch. No luck finding a vendor yet.

Your best bet for grapes would probably be local vineyards, I am not sure if muscadines are a major commercial industry or not.

So what makes this recipe so great, is it the corn meal and the potato that make the difference, or the concentrated juice? Or is it something else?
Muscadine wines certainly have a unique taste. I discovered it Christmas two years ago, there were three seasonal varities that the Duplin vineyard produced, and they were an instant hit with my wife and our neighbors. The local wine and spirt shop couldn't keep it in stock, we kept clearing their shelves. Now I order by the case, right from Duplin.

So what makes this recipe so great, is it the corn meal and the potato that make the difference, or the concentrated juice? Or is it something else?
Muscadine wines certainly have a unique taste. I discovered it Christmas two years ago, there were three seasonal varities that the Duplin vineyard produced, and they were an instant hit with my wife and our neighbors. The local wine and spirt shop couldn't keep it in stock, we kept clearing their shelves. Now I order by the case, right from Duplin.

Muscadines are commercially grown but may be hard to find at a reasonable price outside the regions where they are endemic. I would say muscadine wines have unique tastes, since there are so many versions of them made. Each winery has its own ideas.

To answer your question about what makes this recipe so great, to me:

1.) My version is an adaptation of an old, old country recipe that has been used for many years. (The original recipe is here as it was given to me, too, if you want to try it.) To me, the adaptation is the best of both worlds - old and new winemaking techniques. Chiefly the back end of the process is modified, resulting in a clear wine from using modern techniques. The wine is also drier than the original recipe would be, allowing for more adjustment to taste on the back. The original recipe will be very sweet when done.

2.) Using RC212 means using a far superior yeast for extraction than bread yeast or natural fermentation, the way it was done originally.

3.) The baking soda in the self-rising corn meal does something for the wine. It buffers the acids. The potato is there as yeast nutrient, as is the corn in the meal. I like how old-timey that is.

4.) It is an all-juice recipe the way I adapted it. That makes a tremendous difference.

5.) If you follow my adaptation closely, your will get the wine off the lees quickly in a two-stage initial secondary process. That clears it better and helps with any "foxiness" in taste that muscadines are sometimes maligned for by wine "experts."

6.) They are powerful lil grapes! See http://www.livestrong.com/article/238659-health-benefits-of-muscadine-grapes/

Hope you find some muscadine or scuppernog grapes. If not, you can adapt the recipe for use with Norton (another American grape variety), or even concord or other red grapes.

Thanks JS, I'm hot on the trail of some grapes from this years harvest, although they are in North Carolina. I will definitly use this recipe.
I also ordered some vines, and two of them survived the winter, so I'm hoping to have my own harvest in a year or two.

May have to give that a try. My first batch of muscadine wine was terrible. I made five gallons from 45 pounds of grapes and I made 5 gallons from 20 pounds of grapes and 5 jars of Blackberry jam. I let it sit a long time since the taste never came around. I said to heck with it, and backsweetened both to about 1.005 and bottled the blackberry.

Man, is it good. So, I made a 5 gallons of blackberry from jam and will mix 50/50 with the muscadine to hopefully replicate it.

If that turns out good, I may do the same with the recipe you have shared.

image-896715738.jpg

My attempt at the Moonshiner's muscadine. Second pressing is fresh out of the bucket. Thanks for the help Jswordy.

Just wanted to add that this recipe won silver at the L.A. Cellarmasters U.S. Amateur Winemaking Competition in November 2013.

The blueberry blend with the second-pressing of this muscadine also took silver at the same show. They were the only wines I entered.

Latest posts

Back