Moonshiners Beware

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few disparate comments:

If you have experienced good moonshine, then you know what it is and how mellow it can be. The best I ever drank was from NC, clear as water, had no taste or smell going down but spread warmly once it hit bottom.

Also, you cannot buy "moonshine" at the liquor store. That is "white liquor." That's because genuine "moonshine" is untaxed. No matter what the store label says on it.

The Missouri law will have little effect if someone is caught, as the federal law would take precedence. It would, however, tend to make state law enforcers less likely to go actively snooping around.

The road I live on was created as a mud track so that moonshiners could get their wares out of what was then the back country in the '20s, '30s and '40s. They used felled trees across muddy patches to made "corduroy road" in winter.

My farm was bought, and the house and barn were built, by a moonshiner who moved to my road in 1935 after the sheriff in his home county two counties west of here told him he had to either leave and never be seen there again, or risk a long prison term.

The last federal revenuers to be killed - 2 of them - in the line of duty were shot in my county.

And no, I don't make moonshine. With a state trooper and two county sheriff's deputies just down the road, I can't risk it. But I sure can smell the whiskey when Jack Daniels and the other distilleries up the road get cranking on a crisp fall morning.

I'd like to learn to make Spiced Rum, and age it in barrels.. Maybe learn to make gin..

Latest posts

Back