Mosti Mondiale Mondiale Fresco Juice October 07

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masta

Reaction score
I picked up my 4 buckets of fresh juice last night after work since they came in while I was in Dallas. TheHBS I bought these from is ~100 miles from me. They have two refrigerated trailers where they can store the juice and fresh grapes since they sell lots of each.

I didn't test the juice for anything other than temp and SG last night when I transferred into a 7.9 gallon primary because it was after 10 pm. Still trying to catch up from be away and planning for my tasting party this coming weekend.
smiley29.gif

The whiteshad already started fermenting when I transferred last night and this is the reason for the higher temperature. The reds where also starting to ferment this morningwhen I checked at 4ambefore leaving for work.

10/01/07 @ 1015 pm

Amarone: 1.090 @ 43 F
Xinomavro: 1.095 @ 43F

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><T>
<T>
<TR>
<TD colSpan=2>
Origin: Mosti Mondiale Proprietary Blend, California</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD colSpan=2>
Xinomavro, (meaning "acid-black"), are known for their superb aging potential and their rich tannic character. Their complex aromas combine such red fruits as gooseberry with hints of olives, spices and dried tomatoes.</TD></TR></T></T></TABLE>

Pinot Grigio: 1.090 @ 50F

Sauvignon Blanc: 1.090 @ 50FEdited by: masta

Envy? Jealousy? What other words describe what I'm feeling. Oct. 19 seems so far away after reading yourpost.
smiley22.gif
Happy fermentations!

Not at all Wade....I guess I hit a slow time and was going the right direction on 95 when I left as there was a big wreck going South around Exit 60.

Anyone who will getting one of these juices you need to plan on transferring it to a 7.9 gallon primary as there is very little head space in the bucket it comes in and you will not be able to ferment in it without a big mess.

A quick check on my fresh juice batches batches this morning showed a very active fermentation of all of them and a small amount of foam in the airlock on the Xinomavro batch. This confirms the need for a correct sized primary and I will try and get a few pictures soon.

You got foam in the 7.9 bucket or the bucket that came with it. I know George had done some kits around Christmas and had a mess with the buckets they came in.

I came home to a mess created by my Shiraz/Muscat blend I had started just before I left for Winestock. It was a 6 gallon batch in a 7.9 gal primary and it had just about pushed the lid off the fermenter at one point. I have since racked it to glass and it is now doing fine..."Masta if you want to move this pic it is fine"
3bdfa7fe.jpg

Looks a little low in there buddy, how much of it went over and were there those pesky fruit flies helping you clean up the mess. Everytime I make a little mess they come from nowhere in seconds but never show up anymore when I have something fermenting or aging. They used to be bad before I made that room.

Sounds like I'll be using my two 10-gallon brute food-grade trash cans to ferment the fresh juice.

The amount of foam that got up into the airlock was minimal and a one time event so I wouldn't be concerned about using a normal 7.9 bucket as a primary for these juices. This morning the airlocks were bubbling rapidly and all in unison. The smell is wonderful and filling the basement outside of the fermentation room.

I hope Al Gore doesn't call or have to fly in on his private jet to talk to the local officials since the amount of CO2 being producedhere at Valley Brew is causing the temps to rise here in the Northeast and will be hitting the mid 80's over the next few days!
smiley2.gif

So that's what has been going on here. Earlylast week it was 3 record high days here with temps getting up to 97. Couldn't figure out why. Now it is clear..... I had just fermented all those wines out and it created a lot of C02, causing "Temporary Local Warming"!

Appleman, that's just the Texas weather Masta brought back with him from Winestock. Masta, thanks for responding about the size of the fermentator as I need the 10 gallon ones for some fruit wines. Luckily, I've got three 6.5 gallon, two 7.9 gallon, two 10 gallon and one 20 gallon fermenters. You never know when the fermentations will get out of hand.

All I know is that all these batches going better be backed up by some more so i dont have to spend a fortune in oil to heat the house although you could take it down a notch as I came home to find the AC on.

I was curious how others' MM Frescos are progressing (for those of us who picked them up at George's shop or who like Scott got them earlier elsewhere). I racked my Cabernet Sauvignon and Moscato for the second time last night and had a sample of each. I really am happy with the early results of these wines. Very good body and varietal characteristics. I was especially surprised with the Moscato. It only cost $75 and has a wonderful body and taste.

Mine is bubbling like MLF now for ...hmmm... maybe a couple weeks (little tiny bubbles creating a ring around the neck of the carboy - don't think it's just co2 escaping - never had that happen like that before)... though I never inoculated... anyone know if they pre-inoculated with MLF (as they did the yeast) or is it some wild ML bacteria and what to expect in terms of results if it is not an intentional inoculation... it is happening in both of the wines I got...

I finally racked my fresh juices yesterday (sitting in secondary since 10/13) and added some Super Kleer to all of them. I only had 3 packages so I split it between all four and it is working nicely already.

Added 2 oz of heavy toast French oak cubes to both the Amarone and Xinomavro. It is tough to tell how good the reds will be due to the lack of oak but I do say the Amarone has real potential.

wade said:
Masta used fining agents
smiley3.gif
!

Yup but not the full amount...
smiley4.gif
I even used my Vac-Vin and orange cap after stirring to degas for the very first time.

Latest posts

Back