Mosti Mondiale MM VN vs Cellar Craft 5 week.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TyTheGuy

Reaction score
I was looking at starting a new kit and I was wondering if any of you have made either/or and preferably both of these before. The Cellar Craft has 10.5L and a 1.5L grape pack and the MM VN is only 10L. I have heard and read nothing but good things about the MM VN kits and being good bang for the buck but the CC kit is almost the same price and comes with the grape pack which I'm sure adds a little something. Please give me your input. Thanks.

I'm looking for a red. Maybe the Cab Sauv.

Choices, choices. So many choices. Isn't it great? I have never made either one. I will be watching to see what folks have to say.

Ive heard great things about both. Me, I would personally go with the grape kit as I believe they produce a much fuller bodied wine but I also have never tried either of these kits. I have though made many kits with and without grape skins and only make grapeskin kits now.

wade said:
Ive heard great things about both. Me, I would personally go with the grape kit as I believe they produce a much fuller bodied wine but I also have never tried either of these kits. I have though made many kits with and without grape skins and only make grapeskin kits now.

Thats a good thing to note.
smiley1.gif

I have just ordered TWO Cellar Craft California Reserve Old Vine Zinfandel With Crushed CA Zin grapes kits, and willbe making them as soon as I canlater this month. They will be the first CC kits I've made and will post my experiences with them on this forum.

- GL63

GrantLee63 said:
I have just ordered TWO Cellar Craft California Reserve Old Vine Zinfandel With Crushed CA Zin grapes kits, and willbe making them as soon as I canlater this month. They will be the first CC kits I've made and will post my experiences with them on this forum.

- GL63

Great...Looking forward to it. Pictures, pictures, pictures (for us visual learners.
smiley2.gif
)

TyTheGuy said:
so I'm guessing that most of you guys do the higher end kits?

I wouldn't say most, but fromwhat I've read in these forumsa good percentage do. Personally most of the kits I do are not the higher end ones, although I am a sucker for Old Vine Zinfandel.

I have done a few of the MM VN kits and I've been quite impressed so far. I will likely order more of them in the future. I've got a CC 5 week Old Vine on order which should be here any day. This will be my first CC kit.

Most of the wines I make are from "scratch". I'm the Curious George of winemakers and kits just don't have the same allure to them as, for instance,making wine out of Kool-Aid just to prove you can.

I also rarely follow directions. I can't help but to dump in a can of Welch's or throw in a big box of raisins when I do a kit. As long as I do the lower end kits, it won't be so bad if I make a major blunder in my experimentations. The high end kits cost so much more that I would be less inclined to make any "alterations" and therefore, they would be less fun to make.

Ok...I guess I will have to try one of each and let you know how it goes. I just started a MM VN Merlot so we shall see how that goes and as soon as I bottle the black raspberry merlot I have in my other carboy I will start on a CC 5 week. I'm thinking of doing another red that way I will be able to get a better idea between the two brands. Any suggestions?

I just got my CC 5 week Old Vine Zinfandel kit with the grape pack today
smiley1.gif

Right now I've got a MM VN White Zin going in one primary and a blueberry/black currant going in the other so the CC kit will have to wait a week or so.

Let me know how that red zin goes. I have always been a fan of zin. I'm thinking about maybe doing Merlot against Merlot. I already have the MM VN Merlot going and then I'll do the CC 5 week Merlot just to see the difference.

I also will be keeping up with this thread as I've got a MM all Juice white zin going right now and a CC White Merlot 6week waiting for thatprimary container. Not sure what I've gotten myself into and it's reasuring to read posts where people are doing, if not the same kit, at least one that's simular.
TinaLouise

Just an update, both wines have been in the bottle for about 5 months now. I am thinking of opening one of each soon to see the difference mostly of mouth feel and full bodiedness, if thats a word. I have to say that coming out of the carboy that the cellar craft 5 week definitely has the advantage but its been awhile so there's no telling what has been going on in those bottles since.

My guess would be that the CC grape pack will need more time. Great test though and I am also interested in your results.
VC

Latest posts

Back