Mosti Mondiale MM Renaissance Sauvignon Blanc

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibglowin

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Started this kit yesterday. I should preface this by saying I picked this up on sale as a wine of the month. I had "intended" (really, I did......) to start this some time this Summer. Imagine my surprise (and shock.....) when it came last week and the DOM sticker was 80915. Thats right this kit was manufactured on 9/15/2008 and is now over 17 months old and it came from FVW!
smiley5.gif

I immediately called George up to complain as one of the main reasons (other than the excellent service of course!) is his kits are always fresh due to his high turnover (sales volume). I asked if this had been sitting at his store for that long and he apologized and said he was going to have to talk with Mosti Mondiale as they have started to send him some fairly dated kits as of late. That said he still guaranteed it and said if I wasn't 100% satisfied he would make it right just save the sticker, taste the juice first and Mosti is now saying their kits are good for 2 years from DOM.......

Not sure I want any 2 year old juice......
smiley3.gif

So instead of starting on my Cellar Craft Limited Release Cab/Shiraz and getting it going I had to get this one going ASAP before it got any older....

So, still have to say kudos to George and his first rate service, I know if I am not happy here he will fix it, but, I am not so happy with Mosti Mondiale at the moment!

Taste test of the must after reconstituting back to 6 gallons was it seems OK, very sweet, no off taste or funky flavors that I could detect. The must did seem a little oily of sorts in the mouth, not sure if that is normal or not, I know grape juice has proteins (sometimes loads of it after my Viognier experience last month) so perhaps the oily feeling on my tongue is normal with this type of product. Color seems normal as any of my other 3 whites that I have made so last check was the yeast which had an expiration of 6/2011 so I went ahead and pitched the yeast and got it going with out any further delay.

I love, love, love me some New Zealand style Sauvignon Blanc so I aksed George which kit was closest to that style and he said the MM Renaissance had the most citrus (which is what I love) so I went with this one instead of the RJS EP New Zealand or the MM All Juice or the $200 MM Meglioli!

So far I have been pleased with all my MM Renaissance kits. They seem to have an attractive bang for the buck, especially when you can pick one up on sale so here it goes.

This kit is advertised as an Aussie Sauvignon Blanc and comes with 60 grams of French oak chips. I am trying to decide whether or not to add (leaning towards no oak) as New Zealand style doesn't seem to have any oak that I can tell.

Starting SG was 1.102 so depending on what I get it down to it should have a nice ABV when done.

Love the "Unlimited Edition" tagline!

20100222_182627_DSC02467.jpg

6 hours post yeast pitch, starting to see some action already!

20100222_182645_DSC02469.jpg

24 hours post yeast pitch, off to the races, smells good, looks good, keeping my fingers crossed!
smiley32.gif

20100222_182703_DSC02471.jpg

So, anyone else seeing some really old juice from Mosti these days or am I just lucky!

Good luck with this one, Mike. Keep us posted. I'm interested in a Sauv. Blanc as well and that one sounds interesting.

BTW...Does the Cellar Craft Limited Release Cab/Shiraz have a crushed grape pack?

Pete

I am sure it will be fine mike!!!! BTW is it me oe does it seem like the renaissance series has higher starting S.G. than most concentrates?

Yes it does have a large grape pack.in fact it's 2 liters, i am about to start mine as well:)

Thanks for the story and the pictures, Mike. I have not had your "luck" with MM products but you have raised my awareness. Good for George and his standing behind his product. Looks like this one got a good start despite its advanced age.
smiley1.gif

Last couple of Renaissance kits have been at or just a notch above 1.100 so thats a pretty good starting SG for a kit.

seagrape said:
BTW is it me or does it seem like the renaissance series has higher starting S.G. than most concentrates?

GREAT NEWS!

Just got an email from George and the manufacture label appears to be a misprint! Seems the whole days production went out with labels misprinted with 80915 when they should have been 90915.

That means its actually only 5 months old which now makes more sense since the yeast expiration was way out there at 6/2011. Seems like it should have either been expired or close to expiration.

Very happy camper now!
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif

Awesome!!!!!!

Hey mike whats your take on the renaissance compared to the alljuice? I look at the pricing and it sure is close actually a dollar here and a dollar there, looking at the how to pick a wine kit from this site it really puts the alljuice ahead of the renaissance because of the so called alljuice but with the quality oftodays concentrates/juice i dont know? I am definately going to do the renaissance chilean pinot noir and after reading the description of tha sauv blanc well that's on the list to, so i guess after the alljuice ages and the rennaissance ages i think there will be reason for a taste off!!!!!!
smiley32.gif
Does anybody have any personal tasting experience thoughts to shed some light on the differences if any at all?

I am torn between the two. On the one hand, all juice. On the other a large concentrate plus grape pack. Which to choose? I lean toward the Renaissance because of the grape pack.

Whoa!

Renaissance kits don't come with grape packs! Some of them come with raisins but no grape packs! We were talking about my Cellar Craft kit that I put off starting in order to get this Sauv Blanc kit going.

I think the Renaissance kits are just as good as the all juice kits. It fact I have read that the All Juice kits are in fact a reconstituted kit of sorts so they are in fact probably very close if not perhaps the same kit only the water was added back!

So what is the difference?

Perhaps only LESS $$$ to ship the Renaissance due to it weighs less!

seagrape said:
Awesome!!!!!! 

Hey mike whats your take on the renaissance compared to the alljuice? I look at the pricing and it sure is close actually a dollar here and a dollar there, looking at the how to pick a wine kit from this site it really puts the alljuice ahead of the renaissance because of the so called alljuice but with the quality of todays concentrates/juice i dont know? I am definately going to do the renaissance chilean pinot noir and after reading the description of tha sauv blanc well that's on the list to, so i guess after the alljuice ages and the rennaissance ages i think there will be reason for a taste off!!!!!!
smiley32.gif
 Does anybody have any personal tasting experience thoughts to shed some light on the differences if any at all?

I have an All Juice Pinot Noir bulk aging that I started about 3 months ago as well as a Renaissance Chilean Pinot Noir that is currently in secondary. At some point I will be able to taste test and do a side by side comparison of sorts but thats going to be quite a ways down the road at this point in time!

seagrape said:

ibglowin said:
I think the Renaissance kits are just as good as the all juice kits. It fact I have read that the All Juice kits are in fact a reconstituted kit of sorts so they are in fact probably very close if not perhaps the same kit only the water was added back!

So what is the difference?

Perhaps only LESS $$$ to ship the Renaissance due to it weighs less!

seagrape said:
Awesome!!!!!!

Hey mike whats your take on the renaissance compared to the alljuice? I look at the pricing and it sure is close actually a dollar here and a dollar there, looking at the how to pick a wine kit from this site it really puts the alljuice ahead of the renaissance because of the so called alljuice but with the quality oftodays concentrates/juice i dont know? I am definately going to do the renaissance chilean pinot noir and after reading the description of tha sauv blanc well that's on the list to, so i guess after the alljuice ages and the rennaissance ages i think there will be reason for a taste off!!!!!!
smiley32.gif

Well that makes sense!!looking foward to your taste analogy, hopefully i will not be far behind as i have an all juice bulk aging at the moment as well and i'm gettin real itchy for the chilean pinot noir!!!!!!

It is my error. I was thinking of the Renaissance Amarone that I made but then, it didn't have a grape pack... it had raisins. So, what was I thinking? Sorry for the confusion.
smiley9.gif

Actually a Renaissance kit with a grape pack would be a huge hit!

Look at the success of the CC Showcase kits!

admiral said:
It is my error. I was thinking of the Renaissance Amarone that I made but then, it didn't have a grape pack... it had raisins. So, what was I thinking? Sorry for the confusion.
smiley9.gif

Back