Mosti Mondiale MM LE Barolo/Amarone - Grapes or Raisins Dilema?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the welcome note.
smiley9.gif

I've never made any Impression kit. It seems (from other member experiences) the instruction that came with it is a bit confusing.
In any case, the instruction that I have for Meglioli and LaBodega kits is the same as one posted in mosti site:
http://www.mostimondiale.com/InstructionsLaBodegaOAJMEAJMEG.pdf

This is mainly intended for mosti grapepack kits.

I have fermenting bags and always use them, well except for this batch. I was kind of in a hurry and wasnt thinking!! What a freaking mess! Ill never make that mistake again. As far as racking over I ferment to dry in Primary and ignore all instructions as far as that goes.

Can anyone report on the taste from sampling after primary/secondary fermentation on these Impresssions or MM LEkits using both grapepak and raisin additions. Sharp is not the word for my Amarone, very off flavor with harsh woodsy bitter taste, I know it's just the beginning but at this stage, no fruit taste at all, unlike most kits I've made.

Jim, at this point in time I am ready to throw it over into the cow pasture and order another kit!!
smiley7.gif

I am going to try and transfer it back into the fermenting bucket via either paint strainer bags or the cheesecloth. If the results aren't good.....back to option A......the cow pasture. haha

I have made over 20 kits and this is the first one that has me challenged. Very dissapointed in the instructions and the kit SHOULD come with a cheesecloth for either the grapes or the GP.

smiley5.gif

Kathie

Wade, seems as though we jumped in the same boat. How did you overcome the GP in the carboy issue? Any suggestions?????

Kathie
smiley5.gif

I ended up sticking my spoon in there and scooping it all out into a colander.

Maybe I could try scooping it with a cup and pouring it thru a colander.
smiley5.gif

Well, this is the very first kit ever I resigned to throw over the fence.
smiley3.gif
It was a mess. Couldn't "ladle" the stuff out, the oak chips choked up the opening of the carboy and trying to actually salvage the juice was a disaster also.
smiley5.gif

No more just adding the raisins or grape pack in any fermentor or carboy. Going to go buy a case of paint strainer bags from now on.Better yet, it should be a part of the MM kit if it comes with raisins or a grape pak.
I have the "Sour Grape" attitude at the moment.
Kathie

the impressions/amarone kit taste is horrible. DO NOT USE BOTH. Any time directions are in bold and capitalized,I thinkyou shouldprobably follow that part definitely. These forums are great butsometimesyou'll getburnt.I could blame the odd directions, lack of straining bag,too much oak chipsor addingboth raisins and grapepack,butI took the bait.Anyway, it's rackedto a nice glass carboy and will wait and see in the next 4 month for any improvement. It'll have tocome a very long way to reverse my opinion.

Bacci,

Tasting the wine right after fermentation is not going to tell you much, especially with a big, bold wine like this Amarone.

A cheaper, less bold kit will always taste better at this stage, because it is going to develop much faster than a big kit. If you want a wine that will taste better right out of the gate, stick with the 10 liter kits or the summer wines. On the other hand, if you want a wine that, with enough patience, just may knock your socks off in 2 or 3 years, keep making these bigger kits.

An Amarone is certainly going to be tart at this stage. As a matter of fact, it is going to be tart in 2 or 3 years and that's because it is an Amarone, which is meant to be tart. (Look up the English meaning of the Italian word "Amarone". Some folks never like the taste of even a commercial Amarone, even when it is just reaching its prime at about ten years old.)

Using both the raisins and the grape pack is going to result in an even bolder wine. I might not have used both, but I doubt that in the end, you will be disappointed in having done so.

You should give it some time before you declare it as "horrible". It's young, green, tart, and filled with all kinds of dissolved solids, which will make it pretty un-tasty when it is very young, but a really good wine when it grows up.

Just be patient. You will be glad you did.

Well put, Dancerman. I will be patient, but do like to taste my wines at each stage to follow progress. Honestly, I'm not familiar with amarone or MM, other than what i've read in these posts. I needed an italian in mycellar. Being italian myself, I should have known how stubborn this one'sgoing to be. We callbeing a"testadoda" (hard-headed). The pundent oak flavor is my main concern, almost cedar-like. Also, i think the raisins gave it a sulfur-likefinish (before addingany KMET) Se Va Va.

I personally don't like the strong raisin taste very much, but the truth is, some Italian wines have a raisin taste... go figure, as now I will tell you I like Italian wines. What's the Italian word for "wishy-washy"?

I also like to taste my wines as they progress. It would be interesting to make a 10 liter kit and an ultra-premium kit of the same varietal, both at the same time, so one could taste them as the wine progresses. Taste-wise, the 10 litter will progress much faster. It will be ready to drink in only a few months, stay at its prime for only a relatively short period, and start going downhill before the bigger kit will even begin to be considered to be ready to drink. (Sort of the old rabbit .vs. turtle story all over again)

Long after the 10 liter kit is gone, the better kit will finally come around and stay at its prime for a much longer duration than the lesser kit. Of course in most cases, the bigger kit will end up being a much better wine in the long run and well worth the wait.

Nothing wrong with either kit; it all just depends on one's expectations. I like the idea of making a really nice kit first, followed soon by an early drinker (or three). At least you have the early drinker to reward your hard work until the big-guy comes around.

DancerMan, the RJS EP Amarone has you use both the raisin and the grape pack.

Wade said:
DancerMan, the RJS EP Amarone has you use both the raisin and the grape pack. 

Both? Then I would follow the directions and add both.
I think the MM kits say to add one or the other, but not both, but I have read where lots of winemakers are adding both, anyway.

You are right, the Mosti says only one. I have the Impressions Barolo going with both raisins and grape pack so well see how it tastes like that!

I am happy to report I did not "hurl" my MM amarrone in the cow field! It has been sitting in the carboy alone an unloved for a month with the oak and grape skins mingling with the grape juice.I took one deep smell of this wine and made the decision to keep her.
smiley4.gif

Thank the grape Gods for 5 gallon paint strainer bags (ok, thank you Ace Hardware) because I just dumped the contents of the carboy in the strainer bag in the fermenting bucket. When I lifted the strainer bag out of there I was squeezing grape skin juice and managed to get a full 5 gallons!
So, the siligel, liquigel and a good stir has this honey sitting in a carboy for a few months. Surely I will go in every other day or so and apologize and luv on that carboy of amarrone.
smiley36.gif

True story....

Wade,
Dude, I was HAPPY to get 5!! With all the skins in there and the oak, I squeezed out 5.
Note to self.......put the skins or raisins, etc. in a dang strainer bag and NOT free floating in a carboy!
Kathie

Latest posts

Back