Mosti Mondiale MM Barolo Finishing TOO Rapidly??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New Kid

Reaction score
Started a MM Barola on 8/15, SG 1.086. On 8/19 it had already arrived at 1.044. Thinking it was just too soon, I did not rack to glass and add the yeast nutrients until 8/20 at an SG of 1.024!It has beenperking now fairly well for 3 days. Have been stirring the oak and keeping watch. Today, SG is 0.994. When stirred it perks a little since it is letting off gas, but no rapid bubbbling on its own. According to MM instructions it needs another 4+ days before racking off sediment and clearing. What should I do? Rack at SG of 0.994 or let it stand another few days?
smiley5.gif

I would rack it now. Temp has alot to do with how long fermentation takes. I bet it was warm there. I have seen wine frement dry in 5-6 days.

Continue with what the directions say after racking

Keep in mind that the instructions are based on average fermentation time. If you live in an area that is warmer, like I do, your fermentation times maybe be much faster. That is why we always say go by the instructions SG readings not the days.
VC

Thanks for the advice. Yes I DO live in a warmer climate. I have been keeping the house between 72-76 but outside has been much warmer. I will proceed as instructions advise.

At this point since ts in glass it doesnt really matter and if they are saying to rack off sediment then a few more days would only let more settle out.

Remember that all the kit manufacturers are in Canada, and their timings are based on conditions there. I have never had a fermentation take as long as they say it should. I just go by sg and don't worry about the days.

New Kid said:
Started a MM Barola on 8/15, SG 1.086. On 8/19 it had already arrived at 1.044. Thinking it was just too soon, I did not rack to glass and add the yeast nutrients until 8/20 at an SG of 1.024!It has beenperking now fairly well for 3 days. Have been stirring the oak and keeping watch. Today, SG is 0.994. When stirred it perks a little since it is letting off gas, but no rapid bubbbling on its own. According to MM instructions it needs another 4+ days before racking off sediment and clearing. What should I do? Rack at SG of 0.994 or let it stand another few days?
smiley5.gif

When you say it perks up a bit, it isn't bubbling because it is actively fermenting, your stirring is causing some C02 to come out of suspension. You could just let it sit for a few more days and make sure the fermentation is done. It may go lower than 0.994. If you transfer it now, it will likely totally stop and never go any lower- but then again it is already pretty dry so that wouldn't matter.

Latest posts

Back