MLF or Degassing Issue

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Longtrain

Reaction score
I have made a Syrah from Chilean juice, fermentation was fine, and MLF was sluggish (WLP675), testing showed that it got about 50% complete after 8 months. So, the wine was vacuum degassed, cleared very well and was bottled about 3 months ago. I pulled a bottle yesterday and found that it had some gas present (which is normally a thing of the past for me), I decanted the bottle, the gas dissipated, the nose, flavor were fine, in fact very good.

I understand that MLF may have restarted, however, there were no off odors or tastes. BTW SO2 levels are fine. In order to clear up this issue, can I put it back in a carboy, degass again, give it more time and then re-bottle? Thanks.

Tony

I have made a Syrah from Chilean juice, fermentation was fine, and MLF was sluggish (WLP675), testing showed that it got about 50% complete after 8 months. So, the wine was vacuum degassed, cleared very well and was bottled about 3 months ago. I pulled a bottle yesterday and found that it had some gas present (which is normally a thing of the past for me), I decanted the bottle, the gas dissipated, the nose, flavor were fine, in fact very good.

I understand that MLF may have restarted, however, there were no off odors or tastes. BTW SO2 levels are fine. In order to clear up this issue, can I put it back in a carboy, degass again, give it more time and then re-bottle? Thanks.

Tony

Wow! I did exactly the same thing last year to a bucket of Chilean Syrah... I also tried a natural fermentation on it. Two things I have not and will never do again. Natural fermentation, and use a 675 strain.... It is junk! So for the next 6 months I battle with these bubbles... De-gas multiple times.... I even use the All-In-One pump on it two times.... Only one thing got it to quit...... Cold Stabilization! GONE...... Since you bottled already maybe just try putting them in the frig for a few weeks.....

Sam

Last edited:
I also have Chilean that is now going thru MLF in the bottle - pia

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Wine Making mobile app

Latest posts

Back