MLF 101: Chapter 2

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steamer

Reaction score
Need some advice. My Chard (juice bucket) recently completed fermentation. Reached 0.994. I racked it leaving the heavy lees behind, and tested for sulfite. Got a reading of 20ppm. Since I hadn't added sulfite I figured that amount is what the manufacturer must have put in the bucket. I added my mlf bacteria culture, Wyeast 4007 and topped off. It's been a week now and I do not see any activity, no CO2 escaping from the airlock. It's at least 70 degrees in my wine area. Is this natural or do I need to add a nutrient? Please check out my earlier thread "MLF 101" for background. Thanks. I sure hate to loose this batch.

There are special, complete nutrients for MLB's and YES you have to use them. You might want to do some reading on MLF. E C Kraus has a nice white paper on it. Lots more info at Scott Labs in their Fermentation Handbook that you can access online.

MLB is a slow grower--so don't look for big activity.

There are special, complete nutrients for MLB's and YES you have to use them. You might want to do some reading on MLF. E C Kraus has a nice white paper on it. Lots more info at Scott Labs in their Fermentation Handbook that you can access online.

MLB is a slow grower--so don't look for big activity.

I'm getting no activity. Haven't seen bubbler move since second day. I'll research the two sources you mention but can I add nutrients a week after the mlb is introduced? Thanks

I'm getting no activity. Haven't seen bubbler move since second day. I'll research the two sources you mention but can I add nutrients a week after the mlb is introduced? Thanks

I agree with the above.

MLF is not like yeast fermentation. It is a lot slower and (I find) not really noticable. The only way to be sure to to perform a paper chromatography test. Another option is to taste it after a week to see if you have any softening.

I agree with the above.

MLF is not like yeast fermentation. It is a lot slower and (I find) not really noticable. The only way to be sure to to perform a paper chromatography test. Another option is to taste it after a week to see if you have any softening.

I understand that MLF is a lot slower and not REALLY noticeable. But isn't one of the bi-products CO2, albeit in very small quantities? I've seen ZERO bubbling action for DAYS!. Does that seem right?

It seems like you have received sound advice. Like JohnT said, I would check the chromatography since it's the most accurate test for MLF. If yeast fermentation can drag on slowly for months, why not MLF, which is slower? Even if MLF didn't start, it's not a ruined batch.

There is only one way to know for sure if the conversion is taking place and that is to do chromotography test on it. The papers,solution,large jar for soaking up the solution costs a little over $50 but is much more worthwhile than the Accuvin test kit. The chromo test will show you how much lactic is being made and how the malic is being reduced.

Some of these MLB cultures are PAINFULLY slow--and some seem to stall out even under ideal conditions. We've recently had this happen. So we re-inoculated with Baachus. Baachus is a nice culture--moves right along to completion in a moderate amount of time.

Be sure your temp is controlled within the limits of the culture you're using, stir it gently so that you are not introducing air--oxygen will cause the MLF to become stuck. But stirring keeps the MLB in contact with the wine. Stir a couple times a week.

If you see no movement on the chromo test, you can consider the MLF to be stuck--just re-inoculate with a stronger MLB and it will take off for you.

There is only one way to know for sure if the conversion is taking place and that is to do chromotography test on it. The papers,solution,large jar for soaking up the solution costs a little over $50 but is much more worthwhile than the Accuvin test kit. The chromo test will show you how much lactic is being made and how the malic is being reduced.

Some of these MLB cultures are PAINFULLY slow--and some seem to stall out even under ideal conditions. We've recently had this happen. So we re-inoculated with Baachus. Baachus is a nice culture--moves right along to completion in a moderate amount of time.

Be sure your temp is controlled within the limits of the culture you're using, stir it gently so that you are not introducing air--oxygen will cause the MLF to become stuck. But stirring keeps the MLB in contact with the wine. Stir a couple times a week.

If you see no movement on the chromo test, you can consider the MLF to be stuck--just re-inoculate with a stronger MLB and it will take off for you.
I did buy a chromo test kit but did not do an initial test. Figured I would test when I would "expect" MLF to approach end stage. Sounds like I should do one now to monitor progress, right?

Yes it produces CO2, but at a MUCH slower rate than yeast. It is useless to look at the air lock.

Look at the more horizontal portion of the carbuoy, where it goes from the vertical portion towards the neck. Use a flashlight if necessary, and look for very small bubbles following the glass.

Yes--you can take a chromo test now. It would be a good idea to see where you are. You want to see some lactic production--that will tell you that the MLF is doing its thing. If the malic is very light colored, then you know that the bulk of it is being converted. Re-test in another week to see the progression---then end it when you see no malic on the paper.

One other way to test is to taste it. Is it getting softer?
I just started MLF 12 days ago. How soon can I detect a softer taste? I stirred it today as Turock suggested and for a short time I did observe very tiny bubbles rising to the top, enough to push a bubble or two from the airlock but I suspect that will slow down/stop very soon, right? Having all of you tell me what to expect sure helps. Thanks!
:h

It depends on the MLB culture. The one we first used on this latest batch of Pinot Noir was W 625 (I think that's the one) and it was very slow. Even after 2 months, it was not done and the chromo test wasn't showing any progression. At that point, we felt it was stuck. I really don't like some of these new MLB's.

You have to begin chromo tests so you can see where you're at, and if it's progressing when you take the next test. At 12 weeks, you should see some slight lactic production. It will take until it's nearly finished before the bite of the malic is not there in a taste test.

Latest posts

Back