MLB any suggestions ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barbiek

barbiek
Reaction score
I have a juice bucket of cab coming and would like to try a MLF on it. Is there a particular culture of MLB you would recommend and also recommend me to stay away from? PS only need for 6 gal thanks a bunch

Last edited:
The better MLBs come for bigger batches, VP41 is one, up to 66gal.
Depending on PH/TA and alcohol level I'd use Wyeast 4007.
As a matter of fact I've used Wyeast about 3 times with no issue except that it seems to take longer to finish.
It costs $10 or less.

I used VP41 successfully for a 10 gallon Merlot based batch this spring. Used it because some said that Merlot can sometimes present MLF problems (I think it cost $31). This fall I plan on using Viniflora CH35 on two batches since no other Malolactic bacteria were available when I placed the ordered. It was $22, so $11 per batch. Some here will order the VP41 but use it on multiple batches to reduce the overall cost per batch.

Thanks a lot geek and ceeaton I know that they usually come for bigger batches but I've only decided to go through MLF after I had ordered the juice lol and not planning to order more this fall I haven't heard much good on wyeast so I've been skeptical on ordering that.Thanks again you two!

Last edited:
When I first started with juice and grapes, I used Bacchus, which is no longer available. It was about $12 and did enough for a single batch. VP41 has been good to me and I decided that it's worth having more than you need. In the end, it is adding about a dollar per bottle to your cost. Not too bad. If you like your results, double or triple your order next year and spread that cost over more bottles. :dg

Any reviews on white labs WLP675? I read some where maybe here that White labs weren't so good
Thanks

I'd never use it, I tried once and didn't like it, others may have better luck.

Last edited:
I used Enoferm Beta last year on Syrah and it worked flawlessly. I'm using that again and also trying VP41 on some Zin next week.

Then VP41 it is! Is it ok to use the fermentation nutrients I usually use such as fermaid k?

Acti-ML to hydrate the MLB and opti malo plus to the wine prior to pitching the MLB, is what I do.

TXWineDuo I meant in the initial fermentation lol and I know it was a stupid question just want it done the best it can be! I was reading the more wine Manuel to MLF "good read"
Thanks for all the advice every one! I'm sure I'll ask more stupid questions as time goes by since this is my first controlled MLF

TXWineDuo I meant in the initial fermentation lol and I know it was a stupid question just want it done the best it can be! I was reading the more wine Manuel to MLF "good read"
Thanks for all the advice every one! I'm sure I'll ask more stupid questions as time goes by since this is my first controlled MLF

Its not as difficult or mysterious as it sounds, so don't sweat it. ;) The hydration/pitching process is largely the same as for yeast. This fermentation just takes longer and you use chromatography instead of a hydrometer to measure for completeness.

Racked my cab from MLF added 1/4 tsp kmeta and 1/2 cup French oak now to add about a year of patience to bad they can't bottle that!

Latest posts

Back