Mint?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boozinsusan

Reaction score
I have an abundance of mint. Is there anything I can do wine/mead-wise with it?

Not sure if I would like the taste of "mint wine" unless it were lighter, or maybe added into another flavor.

Anybody have any thoughts?

I also have a bunch of mint. The first thing I did was add some to vodka to make mint extract. I'll also be trying to dry some and make a mint mead using orange blossom honey. I have added mint to a lime mead that at last taste test was pretty good. Think about adding mint to perhaps a mango mint, a cranberry wine, pineapple coconut wine, lots of choices and ideas.
VC

Maybe add some mint to the pot when making simple syrup? Add the syrup to some fruit and white wines? Just an idea..

vcasey said:
I also have a bunch of mint. The first thing I did was add some to vodka to make mint extract. I'll also be trying to dry some and make a mint mead using orange blossom honey. I have added mint to a lime mead that at last taste test was pretty good. Think about adding mint to perhaps a mango mint, a cranberry wine, pineapple coconut wine, lots of choices and ideas.
VC

Would you dry the mint or steam juice it to store it? If I do not have anything right now to put it into, what would be the best way? (It will snow here soon, so have to get it while I can)

Also, vcasey, did you press it down firmly, then add the vodka to make the extract?

smiley9.gif

Sorry, I forgot to say "thanks" for the responses......

THANKS!

tepe said:
Maybe add some mint to the pot when making simple syrup? Add the syrup to some fruit and white wines? Just an idea..

tepe, since you are the fruit wine GOD, I would like to ask if you think that mint in apple wine would be good (it would be my first apple wine, and only the second batch overall, so I would want it to be good)

Any idea how much mint to use in the syrup per gallon of wine?

Mint in apple would work, just go light on the mint. I put it in the secondary, just washed off the leaves, put them in the carbaby and racked the mead on top. For storing I would either dry or freeze the mint. When I made the extract I just filled a 1/2 gallon canning jar not packed but very full and poured vodka right on top, everyday or so it gets a good shake or 2 cause everyone likes to watch the mint leaves spin. Here is a picturehttp://www.finevinewines.com//Wiz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=8706
VC

boozinsusan said:
tepe said:

tepe, since you are the fruit wine GOD, I would like to ask if you think that mint in apple wine would be good (it would be my first apple wine, and only the second batch overall, so I would want it to be good)

Any idea how much mint to use in the syrup per gallon of wine?

LOL I am not any fruit wine God. Butt thanks anyway.
Here's what I would do.
After making a mint simple syrup add "some to your wine .. Remember the 3 "T's"? TASTE for flavor.. Keep adding some till YOU like the flavor. Then IF not sweet enough add some more simple Syrup NOT infused with "mint" add till its sweet enough.
Ya see it becomes a 2 part simple syrup addition.
CHEERS !
smiley20.gif

I need samples.. LOL !

I think I will try this in a small batch of apple wine, to see if I like it before I make a lot.

I will be making some infused in vodka though - that would be great, I think!

Thanks for the suggestions!

smiley32.gif

I made a mint wine 2 years ago and it was great. I used 1 ot.losley packed leaves per gallon. I steeped the leaves in boiling water and then strained it in to the primary.best if it ages for 1 year. I now have a chocolate mint wine ageing.

I infused mint with vodka not too long ago. used fresh mint from the garden, thoroughly wash*t it and popped it into my mortar & pestle. gave it a couple of whacks and popped it in the bottle.
Vodka is very versatile. :)

What great ideas!

I also think I will try the "Peppermint Patty wine" that was posted somewhere here too.....

I have bushels of mint I can use! Might as well take advantage of it, right?

I put some into a jar of vodka, and put the rest in the freezer....

After only a couple of days, the vodka is already tasting minty.

Gee I have taken the same approach to making the mint extract as to my wines & meads. All I do is shake it up while I am impatiently for my coffee in the morning. I have not even thought about taking the lid off and tasting. BTW, I have a rumpot going as well and its right next to the mint jar (and coffee maker) I mixed everything up after my last edition but have not touched it since, bet its pretty good right now.
VC

corn field said:
I made a mint wine 2 years ago and it was great. I used 1 ot.losley packed leaves per gallon. I steeped the leaves in boiling water and then strained it in to the primary.best if it ages for 1 year. I now have a chocolate mint wine ageing.
Chocolate Mint sounds like a good mix.
How do you impart the chocolate flavor?

xanxer82 said:
corn field said:
Chocolate Mint sounds like a good mix.
How do you impart the chocolate flavor?

Chocolate Mint is a type of mint plant.
If you want actual chocolate in your wine there are several ways to add to you wines. You can use a chocolate extract, but be picky and made sure it is a pure chocolate extract. Cocoa Nibs can be added to impart chocolate flavor as well, but I am still experimenting add so far I've had a hard time getting enough chocolate flavor. Using plain cocoa powder is the easiest, and messiest way. You need to make sure your blender is sanitized and put some of you must in there with the powder and blend until its mixed very well and then add it back to the must. I have used any where from 1/2 cup to 1 cup per gallon.
VC

vcasey said:
Gee I have taken the same approach to making the mint extract as to my wines & meads. All I do is shake it up while I am impatiently for my coffee in the morning. I have not even thought about taking the lid off and tasting. BTW, I have a rumpot going as well and its right next to the mint jar (and coffee maker) I mixed everything up after my last edition but have not touched it since, bet its pretty good right now.
VC

I packed the mint pretty tightly into the jar, and the first few days, I pushed the leaves down to be sure they were under the line of liquid. It tasted like mint vodka......

I am shaking it and turning it upside down for a day, then rightside up the next, just to be sure the top and bottom are getting coverage. Probably overkill, but since I have to have patience with the wine, I have to mess with something!
smiley17.gif

I made MedPretzel's mint wine, and it is WONDERFUL! Did not think I would like it, but I will make a large (5 or 6 gallons) batch next year.

I made a batch of chocolate mead last year, and I simmered the cocoa and water for 20 minutes after using the blender to mix it completely. I recommend simmering (don't let it boil, just stir it while it steams) to get the most flavor from the cocoa powder. Where is MedPretzel's mint wine recipe?

Latest posts

Back