Minijet for racking?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wvbrewer

Reaction score
My wife just got a minijet to filter our wine with, but I was wondering can this be used the same way as a vacuum pump? I have not used it yet and I am not familliar with it.

Thanks

In short, yes.

But I'd only do this as a last resort due to the amount of oxygen you might introduce (which, if necessary at the time, then awesome... if your fermentation is done and you just wanna get the wine off the sediment, might not be such a good idea).

GL!

Not that familiar with it but can you use it without the filter pads? If not how about just putting a bunch of holes in a filter?

Yeah - you just bypass the filters.

There is a hose that goes in one side of the pump - the other side hooks to the filter. Disconnect that - and connect the hose to go to your new carboy.

Yes you can and this is the same way you run water through it to clean it out. I never used mine for racking as I didn't want to put any additional wear on the motor of my only filter at that time.

Yeah - i don't use it that way either - i don't think the pump is as good a like a transfer pump.

I prefer the vacuum pump personally to do that.

I will eventually get the inline setup to filter when i use the vacuum pump - but i bought the minijet a while back - so i might as well use it until it throws craps.

I use mine when I want to throw the filter away afterwards like with jalapeno wine. The cartridge filters I clean and use over and over.

While I'm sure it could be done. I'm not sure the impellors on the motor would react well with any amount of lees. I would watch very carefully if trying to rack with the minijet.

I agree - they do not have a filter build into the pump like a transfer pump would have.

I have also heard the biggest complaint about these filters is gunk stuck in the impellers and then you have to take them apart and clean them.

Wade where are you? Thanks guys I think I will just use my auto syphon to rack when I need to. I have not even tried that minijet out yet, so I don't even know how to use it yet. In a month or so I will 6 gallons to filter, and I better know by then.

Thanks
Dave

Back