Methanol?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berrycrush

Reaction score
Is it possible for methanol being produced in any home wine making process?

Last edited:
Of course! All wine has methanol that is produced in small quantities during the fermentation process. The levels in which the methanol produced is so low a level that it doesn't harm the individual(s) in anyway. If you have an issue that is being present in the wine or it has an off smell what does it smell like?

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

The last I knew, the feedstock for methanol was natural gas, but what do I know?

Yup, methanol is naturally produced in wine. However, that is nothing to worry about so long as you don't take steps to concentrate it.

I read that in distilling alcohol, they discard the first and last 10%, since that has the highest concentration of non-ethanol. The winemaking process is not that much different from the starting process of making other adult beverages.

I read that in distilling alcohol, they discard the first and last 10%, since that has the highest concentration of non-ethanol. The winemaking process is not that much different from the starting process of making other adult beverages.

The way I understand it is that the first 10% will be the concentration of methanol, since methanol evaporates quicker (lower temperature) than ethanol. So they throw that out. They throw out the last 10% as well, not because it contains methanol but because it's the lower-quality ethanol with other nasties in it.

From what I've been able to find online, methanol in fermented alcohol is produced from the breakdown of pectin. So using pectic enzyme to break down the fruit will create more methanol, though it will still be in miniscule and non-toxic amounts in our wine and nothing to worry about.

Latest posts

Back