Mesh fruit bags..UPDATE!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, the nylons work great on pears. We bag everything that we ferment with the knee length hosiery. Some pears have a crusty substance inside them atound the seeds. The nylons hold all of it. You might want to get a pair of them and just try it once and see what you think.

I'm planning on crushing right into the bags and pressing immediately and not fermenting on the fruit. Is this what you do? This is with my pears only.

I too am curious if they hold up to the pressure of pressing. I know they work fine as a fermenting bag, but dunno about holding in the pressure. Arne.

I use the paint strainer bags and press with them and so far they hold up pretty good. If they were washed a couple of times, they will pop a small hole.

I use the paint strainer bags and press with them and so far they hold up pretty good. If they were washed a couple of times, they will pop a small hole.

Julie I did the same a few weeks ago with Crab Apples. What did you use when you did pears...same thing?

The wine filter bags I use can definitely handle the pressure and easy clean up as well.

wine filter bags 001.jpg

I'm planning on crushing right into the bags and pressing immediately and not fermenting on the fruit. Is this what you do? This is with my pears only.

If you are going to crush then press why not use burlap? Most of the 'old school' apple pressing videos on Youtube I have watched show the use of a fabric that looks a lot like burlap.

RR

I picked one up at my Local shop, after using it I rinsed it very well in my tub then put it in a mason jar with sanibrew and water. sealed it up and give it a shake every once in a while. after a week or so take it out soak and rinse very well and hang to dry rinse well again prior to using . I have reused it three times like this and it still looks brand new. I am not sure if any bleach remains trapped in it but my guess would be if there was it would be an insignificant amount

OK Folks, here's the scoop!!! I have always used the paint strainer bags in the past. I was concerned with this press due to the pulp of pears. Thank you for all the replies and links. I went to Home Depot and bought a roll of fiber glass screening just in case I would need it. That's what I use for pressing grapes. Just line the inside of the press with it.

Well it kills me to say this but "Julie was right"! I stuck with the 5 gallon paint strainer bags and they worked like a charm. I even reused each one three time without even a rinse. And for the first time I even rinsed them off when I was done and threw them all in the washing machine. I usually use them once and toss them. I used 5 bags and processed 250 pounds of pears. more about those on another link.

Again thanks you guys listed some great resources.

remains of 150 pounds.jpg

remains.jpg

Another discovery; if you don't get all the fruit out (small particles) and wash the bag, let the bag air dry and then turn it inside out and everything falls right off.

Latest posts

Back