Merlot Wines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oneram

Reaction score
Recently I had a Glass of Merlot from the local Resturant in town. It was one of the best tasting Merlot I have ever had. Full Body, very good legsand had this very unique taste. Almost Like they added a shot of Liquor. THe next day I Had to call back to the resturant so I could speak with the owner to find out what type of Merlot it was. The Owner explained ithad to be one of of three kinds. Merlot Concho, Merlot Toro OR Pinot Noir Wild horse. My question is, is the Stags leap close to this taste. Or is it the Pinot Noir Yamhill which I'm making now. Have that Unique taste. Or is it something else. Thanks all

The owner said that the merlot you tasted could have been a pinot noir? hmmm...

I'm not familiar with the brands you listed. HOw would you describe the taste? Was it jammy? peppery? fruity and thick? Maybe the wines you've listed have descriptions on their websites and you can match the description to what you remember tasting. From there you can try and match a description from one of the kits. I have not made the stags leap, but I hear it's one of the better merlot kits. Chewy and jammy, hints of blackberry... yum.

It had A Liquor Smell and Taste, Thick. Very oaky, deep color. Peppery does not come back to me from that taste. I think Black Berry or Black Cherry hints. It was the total package. The Hunt is on for this taste that I had. Thanks for the response

I have a Stags Leap bottled but is going to be at least a year before I can give you an evaluation. Everyone says the Stags Leap is fantastic but you have to remember, to get those characteristics you are seeking, it will take a couple years of aging to fully evolve. I will say the glass that was left over at bottling was fantastic. I have been so tempted to open a bottle but so far have resisted the temptation. It has been bottled about 6 months so far.

Smurfe

Thank you One,
This is a good lesson for me. From now on when I have a wine that I love I am going to ask the wait staff to bring the bottle and let me see it. Then I will take notes and bring them home for future use.

Smurfe,
I am coming over to your house and we are opening one of your Stag leaps. Come on brother, 6 months and not a taste!You got togive it a try!Edited by: ScubaDon

Smurfe, You're to be commended (not condemed) for being so patient.
smiley32.gif
My Stag's Leap is in it's bottles and put away, out of sight, out of mind. Maybe you can bring a bottle to Winestock? (Shhh... I won't tell anyone. I'll meet you in the parking lot with a corkscrew and 2 glasses
smiley2.gif
)

based on your description, I'd say it was Concha y Toro, Marques de Casa Concha Merlot. Concha y Toro has been making really heavy merlots since about 2002 vintage. They are quite good and inexpensive.

Pinot Noir is typically not as full bodied, so I'd guess that was not it. The vintage is most likely 2003 or 2004. I think the 2004 is the bigger year for the Merlot.

You might have to go to a kit with grape skins to get the fullness of body. You could also try a Malbec, which is close to Merlot to see if it comes close to that taste.

One thing I am good at is drinking commercial wines...
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
I have to agree with Dean on his conclusions and recommendations. Pinot Noir, which has been my favorite for 10 years, is a lighter bodied wine than the Merlot, they call it "The Queen of Grapes". Very delicate to grow. Hard to find a good bottle under $15, and trust me, I have tried them all!! You can get awesome Merlots for around $10/bottle, very good. In fact, this years vintage was so good, they are saying there could be an over abundance of Merlot grapes (could be a good thing for us!). Stags leap rates at the top, also heard Washington State Merlots are very good!!

Goodluck,

Francie

PolishWineP said:
Smurfe, You're to be commended (not condemed) for being so patient.
smiley32.gif
My Stag's Leap is in it's bottles and put away, out of sight, out of mind. Maybe you can bring a bottle to Winestock? (Shhh... I won't tell anyone. I'll meet you in the parking lot with a corkscrew and 2 glasses
smiley2.gif
)

Glasses hell, if your drinking in a dark parking lot, it has to be out of the bottle in a brown paper bag!
smiley36.gif

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Once again, I'm very glad I have found this Forum. And George's Store. Thanks all for the responses. I will continue the hunt for that taste. In the mean Time while My Yamhill Pinot Noir is going through its steps, I'm gearing up to make the Stag Leap. And will palce an order soon with George. And perhasp Plant a few Viens this Spring and start a little Wine grape growing adventure.

I was at the Liquor store today and saw a comment on the Concha Tora.
It said it had a Black Currant and Plum forward fruit, and a smokey
cocoa loam backing. What is Loam?

loam is soil. "a smokey cocoa soil". another way of saying earthy flavorsEdited by: sangwitch

So NW you don't want your wine to smell like "dairy'aire"?
How about Ode D'Poop?

Makes me want to really take in a nice whiff of those wines
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley29.gif
smiley29.gif
smiley29.gif
smiley29.gif
smiley29.gif
smiley29.gif
smiley29.gif
smiley29.gif
smiley29.gif
smiley29.gif

Wade:

Muscadine is "Foxy". Foxy is a term commonly used down here to describe the red clay like soil taste the fruit has. Having eaten many muscles, who take on a flavor also of the soils that they are attached to, I can visualize tasting "Loamy".

wade said:
I like muscles so I must like Muscadine! Thanks for the description.

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
smiley26.gif

Muscadines don't taste like Muscles! Thats not what I meant.

We own a cottage at Cape Cod, and when we go there, we get the local muscles. They are raised in the "loamy" beds near the shores so they can be fed with salt water. Those muscles have a loamy taste to them. When I lived in Florida, muscles are grown in the sand with a man made material for them to cling to (and eat from) and those muscles had more of a.......... I don't know, not sand taste, but what the saltwater would have tasted like if it were filtered through the sand, Kinda Bland tasting.

Same theory with Muscadines (or other fruits). Muscadines taste like the local soil here in the mid region of the US, Red Clay or just clay.

You'll see in a few days.

I know what you meant, I hope your wine doesnt taste like muscles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
smiley11.gif

Ok you want a muscles Story. When I was serving our Country, Years ago. I had the great pleasure of find my self a mountain top in the Northern most part of Turkey. The Most nothern part of Turkey is surrounded by three sounds of water called the Black Sea. Ok you know the drill Buddies go down to the beach, drink what ever we could get our hands on. As we look into the water one day we seen black looking clams or Muscles, well OF COurse what do we do, dive down there in the Loam, Grab as many as we can, cut open the top of a beer can and steam those babies. Man they were good no matter what they were or how they tasted. hahaha

Latest posts

Back