Merlot Grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winep

Junior
Reaction score
I want to buy Merlot grapes , for winemaking
are they better alone or mixed ?

Some wineries add around 15% Cab to them, but I think they do that after fermenting both kinds of grapes and blending the wines, not the grapes.

California merlot tends to be better for blending as it is very intensely fruity. 'Experts' claim Washington Merlot grapes are better because they are not quite so fruity and a little lower alcohol level. I like Merlot on its own, but I will be blending fresh Merlot grapes with Cab. Sauv and Cab. Franc grapes in about a month.

I have used some merlot to blend in with other wines. I have never actually made a wine using only merlot grapes because of availability and price. I would LOVE to give it a try. Perhaps I will make a 5 gallon batch.

We made Merlot wine last year.....it came out very fruity with less body then I thought it would have. The color was also very light in the beginning (6 months) but is darkening up a bit as it ages. The year before we made Merlot (60%) and Syrah (40%) and it was fantastic! This year we plan on a Cab/Syrah blend....it should have more body, less fruity and darker. I can't wait!

Many varietal wines are sold under then name of that varietal, but have a small percentage of other varietals blended in for mouth-feel, taste, and aroma. This is very typical. Merlot by itself is a great wine. Of course it all depends on what one likes.

Merlot

I have decided half Merlot and half Cabarnet Savignon , we will see Saluta !!!

Latest posts

Back