Meritage

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terroirdejeroir

Reaction score
I am looking for some advice on blending a couple of different Meritage wines from the Lodi grapes I fermented. I expect most will say to do bench trials and let taste be your guide. While that is good advice I am looking for some suggestions on starting point.

This is what I have:

Cabernet Sauvignon (BM-45)
Merlot (RP15)
Cab Franc (RP15)
Malbec (D254)
Petit Verdot (D254)

I would like to attempt both a Right Bank (Merlot dominant) and a Left Bank (Cab Sauv dominant) and would like to use all five varietals in each blend.

I can't offer any suggestions but I do know this, or at least I read it. Meritage is pronounced just like heritage. I thought it would be pronounced "Meritodge" being french and all.

I can't offer any suggestions but I do know this, or at least I read it. Meritage is pronounced just like heritage. I thought it would be pronounced "Meritodge" being french and all.
Actually it only looks French. It was chosen by the America-based Meritage Alliance.

I'll just throw this out:

50% Cab Sauv
25% Cab Franc
15% Merlot
10% PV

I'm not Jim, but I assume he left out Malbec because there is little Malbec grown in Bordeaux any longer. (And most of what is, in Cahors, goes into wine that is mostly Malbec.)

Personally, I vote to add it. Just 'cause the Bordelais struggle to grow Malbec doesn't mean that it doesn't play well with the other Bordeax varieties. You could call it the "Entre-Deux-Mares" blend. I have mixed up my own "Pan-American Meritage" blends, and I have included Malbec and Carmenere with very pleasing results.

@sour_grapes is right. There is nothing at all wrong with using the Malbec in there, IMHO. You don't see it used often, but it is out there. It's hard to suggest a blend without knowing exactly what each element will bring, so my suggestion was really just a starting point.

@sour_grapes is right. There is nothing at all wrong with using the Malbec in there, IMHO. You don't see it used often, but it is out there. It's hard to suggest a blend without knowing exactly what each element will bring, so my suggestion was really just a starting point.

Right, thanks. I am just trying to figure out a basic plan as there are so many possibilities I could use up all 17 gallons doing bench trials ;~)

Right, thanks. I am just trying to figure out a basic plan as there are so many possibilities I could use up all 17 gallons doing bench trials ;~)

If you were a few hundred miles closer, I'd offer my tastebuds for the blending exercise. :D

Back