Mosti Mondiale Meglioli Amarone

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made this kit three years ago, you will have a VERY good, no,EXCELLENTwine given time. Have you checked the calibration on your hydrometer to insure you are getting accurate measurments? Your plan for Sunday will work fine.

Thanks JW, Mike, Wade, James. I checked Hydrometer a week ago and was spot on. JW, does your
Amarone have legs. My first wine to make was WE Amarone and it is great 2 years later. Only 2 bottles left
smiley19.gif
. I hate to obsess over the legs but I have never had a wine
that showed no legs at all.

I dont understand why your Amarone would have no legs unless you added too much water in the primary or topped up with water or a cheap alternative.

Added water to the 6 gallon rim on primary bucket. Topped up with Petit Verdot from previous batch.

Houston, we've got legs! I had an epiphany last night. As I said earlier I added a hand full of Hungarian oak cubes at the last racking. When I take a sample to check clarity I use a small glass thief that you hold your thumb on to get a sample. I only dip it into the carboy a couple inches. that is where the oak cubes are floating. so I now used the large thief that I use to check SG and dipped all the way to the bottom of the carboy. Viola . . . long, sexy leg! Now if tomorrow's rack, stir and Vacuvin helps clear.

I think I would gently rack, have the wine at 75' or so, and vacuvin without stirring. You probably don't want to introduce any more air to the wine than you need to. Then you will want to wait a month or so to see how it clears. Good luck!

Awesome cause with that quality of a kit and no legs the only thing I could make sense of was that there was a problem with this kit or that you added way too much water and since you stated you added water to the 6 mark that the kit was faulted and even though Ive seen a few problems over the years with a kit or two from a few manufactures Ive never seen one with Mosti and the fault that Ive seen with RJS was that it actually never got diluted when the concentrated it leaving you with a very high starting sg.

Thanks for y'alls help. I racked off what was a moderate amount of sediment and removed the oak cubes. Tastes quite good for this stage. In fact my wife and I agree that it tastes better than the Ripasso that I topped up with. Going to give it a month in the corner and see if it clears up. I know I am a bit OCD but I want it to look as good as it is going to taste.

Dont be afraid to let this it for many months in bulk aging to let this progress much further in fact please do let this age gracefully!

When should I add the Sorbate that came with the Amarone kit? According to the instructions it's time to add sorbate and bottle. I want to leave it alone until March. So when should I add the Sorbate and when do I add Metabisulphite? I only have sodium metabisulphite not potassium metabisulphite is that okay?

I would get k-meta myself as sodium can sometimes add a taste to the wine even with the small amount we add. The sodium is better as a sanitizer though. You could add the sulfite and sorbate now as you need the sulfite in there to protect the wine from oxidation and sorbate should always be added in the presence of sulfite.

Wade said:
I would get k-meta myself as sodium can sometimes add a taste to the wine even with the small amount we add. The sodium is better as a sanitizer though. You could add the sulfite and sorbate now as you need the sulfite in there to protect the wine from oxidation and sorbate should always be added in the presence of sulfite.

Is this what I should use?
http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDetA.asp?PartNumber=6012B

When y'all refer to K-Meta is that a brand name or refers to Potassium Metabisulfite and or Sodium Metabisulfite? I don't see anything listed as K-Meta on George's site.

Yes, that is the stuff.

see: Potassium

K is the symbol from the elemental chart for Potassium
so you will often see K-meta as a "shorthand" notation
for Potassium Metabisulfite.

( and that is what I use too )

Wow, thanks. I should have figured that out. Sorry, I went to Catholic school.
smiley36.gif

Latest posts

Back