Mosti Mondiale Meglioli 2008

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Laneygirl, P.M. me an address, and I'll send you a bottle of theRenaissance when its bottled, you too can compare.

I'm really looking forward to making this wine and would hate to go wrong along the way, So thanks for the confirmation you all are such a great resource. I'm really happy to have the advice just a click away. I stepped up from the wine expert kits and have high hopes for this this one. I hope it will be a wine I'm happy to share.

Cheers

20080203_092837_100_0305_Small.jpg

Day two and fermentation is bumping along really well. So nice to be able to smell this time around! So far no overflow, ambient temp in room is 68-70, maybe wont be a problem..I hope!

I'm on my second day of fermentation and I can't believe how differently this must smells compared to the WE kits I have made. The smell is amazing, I can't get enough of it. The smell alone makes me think this is going to be a great wine. The top quality ingredients the different procedures that come with this kit are by far superior to to anything I've done so far, it just makes sense.
I'm so happy to enjoy the smell as compared to the 3 WE kits I have made where the the smell wasn't so pleasing. 2 of the 3 WE kits where bulk aged for 9 months and are now about 14 months and I bet this kit would taste better right now. I'm a little frustrated discovering I should have stepped up and spent a little more for the good juice after spending so much time and wishful thinking on the WE kits. I guess if you think about it, adding 2 gallons of water compared to all juice probably makes a difference.

I really wanted to express how impressed I am with the 2008 MM Borolo LE kit for anyone that is on the fence about the different varieties available.

Hank The Tank

Edited by: In 2 Wine

The bigger WE kits (15L+) are still very good, especially if your pallete isn't as fine-tuned (like mine!) as others. Plus they tend to mature a bit faster. But Istill prefer the 23L MM's!

BTW, I just started the Meglioli Riesling on Saturday and agree, the smell is wonderful!Edited by: Mark

I got home this morning, and on a whim thought I would check Sg. 1.040. I didn't believe it could be there on day four, so checked it again...1.040..so we racked onto oak after adding nutrient pack, squeezed and wrung all the juice we could get out of them raisins...looks pretty good, put some in a 1500ml bottle, just in case ferment gets strong enough to overflow airlock.

20080205_154332_100_0306_Medium.jpg

Wow Looks great I'm right behind you! Day three for me and I'm at 1.020 SG and it's still bubbling away. I imagine tomorrow or or Thursday I'll be there too. Something about this wine is just so yummy. What did you use to strain the raisins? I have some cheese cloth but I'm also a painter so I could pick up a paint strainer bag tomorrow if that would work better.

Did you notice renewed or more vigorous activity after adding the yeast nutrient?

I used a coarse straining bag, paint strainer would probably work as well. One thing I did that it doesn't tell you to do, I busted all of the raisins open with my hands, then squeezed again and got a lot more juice out of them. If I had thought of that before, think I would put them in a large baggie and smash with a rolling pin. The ferment did react when adding the nutrient, even more when I poured the juice off the raisins in.

I used a cheese cloth and squeezed the heck out of the raisins. I couldn't tell if the nutrient made a noticeable difference or not because it foamed up quite a bit just from the racking. I suggest you use the clamp on your hose to throttle the transfer a bit to keep the foaming under control so you don't have some foaming over like I did.(I lost a quarter cup or so.)

I finally got around to starting my Meglioli ASmarone tonight and this is the first kit that instructions suggested to hyrdrate the yeast. I am afraid that the water I hydrated with was too hotand I have to admit laziness, which of course Iam regretting now since this is THE Meglioli. I waited 15 minutes and it hadn't expanded up like I would expect it to, based on my bread making/baking experience.

Is that normal or should I just plan on getting another yeast packet like the one that came in the kit?

This is normal usually. Wine yeast doesn't really bloom like bread yeast, but you should have seen at least some bloom on the surface.

What I find usually kills the yeast, is the transition from warm to cold, when you add it to the must. That kills a lot of cells due to massive temp differences. Wait at least 2 days keeping your must in the kitchen or somewhere else just as ambient warm. Even if you killed a lot of cells, they will come back in a couple of days at warm 75+ temps.

Mark said:
I suggest you use the clamp on your hose to throttle the transfer a bit to keep the foaming under control so you don't have some foaming over like I did.(I lost a quarter cup or so.)

Good advise on these stronger ferment's, exactly why I racked some into a magnum. Always handy to have a few around with airlocks for these instances. Have since added it back to the carboy now that it has calmed down a bit.

Laneygirl, I don't notice it blooming anything like bread yeast, hopefully you will be O.K. I usually don't hydrate either, did this one , like you, because it said to
smiley36.gif
, but I did temper it slowly with some of the must itself before pitching,a little at a time until I had about a cup of must added into it.I feel that may help with the temp shock Dean describes.

Hi Dean and JW - Thanks for the replies and advice. It'll be at 75 F and I'll give it a couple days to see what it does before panicking too much. I'm leaving to go skiing for the day and see what it's doing later. It usually takes that long to get going even when I do the other method of just sprinkling on top with no stirring.
Next time, I'll try the approach you describe, using some must to rehydrate instead. I'll keep you posted how this one goes. Thanks again.

I picked up the Meglioli Amarone from George this week and I think I'm going to start it today. After reading the instructions however I have a few questions that I hope someone can help me with. They may seems like minor questions, but I don't want to mess this one up.

1. hydrate the yeast with chlorine free water (not distilled or spring). Doesn't tap water have chlorine in it? If so, what kind of water do you use?

2. If I'm reading the instructions correctly, the process seems very quick. Step 2 after ~5 days. Step 3 after ~12 days. Step 4&5 after ~10 days. That's a total of 27 days. I'm I missing something?

3. Has anyone tried dicing the raisins before adding them?

Any help would be appreciated.

I use my well water and have never had any problems with it. These kits do ferment pretty fast. Its when they are done fermenting, thats where the patience thing comes in as these high end kits really need time to come around.

Latest posts

Back