medical question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sirs

just an oldman
Reaction score
Does anyone on here that drinks wine take prozac??? I mean i'm curious as they just started me on this stuff. I know I can drink beer ok with it just not positive about wine although...... I've been drinking some of my apple wine and doesn't appear to be any different than the beer (beer doesn't effect me unless I drink a lot of it about like wine normally) only thing is my wine is abit stronger than the beer by a good bit. Oh I know you shouldn't drink alcohol with most prescribed meds but most prescribed meds don't do anything to me as far as pain meds go. I was just curious if anyone else was taking it for whatever reason and drinknig wine.

Eddie, I'm no doctor and not making any recommendations. I do know people on Prozac and they do drink wine with no issues. Did you ask your Dr.

Eddie, I agree with Dan you should ask your doctor. You are right your wines are a little heavy on the alcohol side. I did do a search and this is what I came up with:

Can I Drink Alcohol on Prozac?
Sometimes people are warned to avoid alcohol while taking Prozac® (fluoxetine hydrochloride). This is because alcohol and medicines like Prozac act upon similar chemicals in the brain. The concern is that Prozac will increase the effects of alcohol -- whether this means increasing symptoms of depression or affecting motor skills.

When many healthcare providers are asked whether or not it is okay to drink alcohol while on Prozac, they recommend that people choosing to drink should only drink light to moderate amounts -- and should also wait until they understand the effects that Prozac and other medicines they are taking may have on their body.

Alcohol and Prozac: What Is Moderate Drinking?
When healthcare providers recommend moderate alcohol drinking, they mean one drink a day for women and two drinks a day for men. Because the alcohol content in drinks varies, what counts as one drink also varies. When healthcare providers talk about one alcoholic drink, they are referring to one of the following examples:

•12 ounces of beer
•5 ounces of wine
•1 ounces of 80-proof whiskey, or 1 ounce of 100-proof spirits.

emedtv.com

Back