Maybe adding tannins?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RotGut76

Reaction score
There is a certain type of wine that I am partial to. I will try to explain its character the best I can:

Red, semi-sweet or off dry, maybe a little oaky. That is the base. However, every now and again I come across wines as I described above but with an added "zing". Even though they are semi-sweet they still strip the moisture from the tongue as if it were a dry wine. Almost like a port but less sugary or syrupy so to speak.

I have come to assume that tannins are what make the wine more or less tart.

My question is, yes I did read the sticky in regards to tannins but I'm still a little confused, how much to add to get that particular characteristic?

Also, can they be added as the process moves along so the wine can be sampled along the way to ensure the proper effect is taking place?

Please forgive my lack of terminology.

Some wine examples of this style:

-Pindar vineyards LI, NY: Gamay Noir and Gamay Beaujolais
-The Barns at Hamilton Station Vineyards, VA: 1910

I add them in the secondary. I have grown to really like Tannin Riche. Usually about 2-3 teaspoons does it for me. Anymore than that and it takes a while for them to settle down. These are finishing tannins so if you find after a couple of weeks in the secondary you want more, you can add it. I believe they recommend it up until 3 weeks before bottling.

Sent from my iPad

Latest posts

Back