Maybe a good way to get a carboy....

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RotGut76

Reaction score
I just wanted to pass this along. I was given a Mr. Beer hard cider kit like this one:

http://www.mrbeer.com/hard-cider-kits

I'm thinking I may buy another. Because I'm always in need of carboys of various sizes I figure why not kill two birds with one stone.

The cider came out pretty good AND it comes with a reusable food grade 2 gallon plastic carboy.

Not too bad of a deal. You could also use the beer kit. The only difference is the carboy color. And, of course, one is not cider.

I just wanted to pass this along. I was given a Mr. Beer hard cider kit like this one:

http://www.mrbeer.com/hard-cider-kits

I'm thinking I may buy another. Because I'm always in need of carboys of various sizes I figure why not kill two birds with one stone.

The cider came out pretty good AND it comes with a reusable food grade 2 gallon plastic carboy.

Not too bad of a deal. You could also use the beer kit. The only difference is the carboy color. And, of course, one is not cider.

Hey Rotgut I was just on MrBrew's site and it's pretty cool. I may just have to try a kit of that hard cider my self. Glad to hear you liked it.

Will

I dunno,

Unless I am mistaken, the kits go for $54 for a 2 gallon kit?

That works out to $27 per gallon, or roughly $5.40 per bottle.

So for 5 gallons, that comes to $135.00.

Seems to me that you could get a glass carboy and a 5 gallon kit for much less than that. Heck, I have seen starter kits (carboy, primary, hoses, and corker) go for around $70 to $90. Glass carboys are a whole lot more durable. I have some that are over 25 years old.

Last edited:
I got one...the cider sucked. Tossed the whole lot. Going to reuse the clear bottles for Mist kit wines.

I dunno,

Unless I am mistaken, the kits go for $54 for a 2 gallon kit?

That works out to $27 per gallon, or roughly $5.40 per bottle.

So for 5 gallons, that comes to $135.00.

Seems to me that you could get a glass carboy and a 5 gallon kit for much less than that. Heck, I have seen starter kits (carboy, primary, hoses, and corker) go for around $70 to $90. Glass carboys are a whole lot more durable. I have some that are over 25 years old.

You are correct about the price. However, I have plenty of 5 and 6 gallon carboys, buckets etc. What my collection does lack is smaller vessels. I use the smaller ones for experimental batches and bulk aging for my smaller batches.

Of course I could just walk into my local wine/beer supply and buy whatever I need.

This kit was more fun though. :)

Buy a gallon of Carlo Rossi wine. You'll only spend about $13, and you'll get 5 bottles of wine and a free 1 gallon glass carboy in the process. ;)

Buy a gallon of Carlo Rossi wine. You'll only spend about $13, and you'll get 5 bottles of wine and a free 1 gallon glass carboy in the process. ;)

That's what I've done. Though I don't recommend the Carlo Rossi Chablis. It's not a bad wine, it's just kind of blah and unexciting.

My sister saved me a bunch of 1 gallon glass jugs, so right now I've got more than I really need.

Back