May have botched my peach

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iffy

Junior
Reaction score
Hi again. I just started a batch of peach using peaches from the family farm. I know many people suggest using other fruit with peach, but I really wanted to try just peach to see how it turns out.

I'm using a recipe from the winemaker's handbook that came with my equipment. The only modification I PLANNED to make was to drastically reduce the water, since I've also read that you really should not add water when making peach-only wine. So I had about 16 lbs. of peaches that I sliced and froze. Last night I laid them out to thaw, and today, I dumped them in a paint straining bag in the bucket. I added just enough water to bring it up to 3 gal line. So I'm multiplying the recipe from the book by 3, since the recipe is for one gallon. The problem comes in when I started adding chemicals. I accidentally grabbed a measuring spoon that was 1/2 tbsp. instead of 1/2 tsp. YIKES!!! So essentially, I tripled the amount on the first two ingredients before I noticed my mistake. So I ended up adding 3 times the amount of acid blend and pectin enzyme. Now what? Can this be fixed??

Do you have anyway of testing the acid levels?
More than likely you will be just fine. Cold stabilization after fermentation may help if acid is too high and wine it too tart when finished.
De-acidifying chemically can be done but should only be attempted if you have the capability of checking acid and PH levels of your must. Adding potassium bicarbonate powder at a rate of 2 g/L for a TA reduction of 1 g/L (estimated).
Don't worry about the extra enzyme, it won't hurt a thing.

Thank you! I don't have an acid test kit, but figured I would need one eventually, based on what I've read on this forum. Maybe i'll try to pick one up tomorrow, and I'll get a crash course in acid levels. ;-)
I won't do anything until I can test the acidity.
Again, thank you!!

Yeah, I think it should be fine. Test the acid if you can. I had to add quite a bit to my peach wine. ( I added water to mine like a dummy.. But I added lots of raisins and extra peaches in to try and make up for it)

Actually with peaches and other highly pulpy fruit its better off to add more pectic enzyme anyway and any extra will settle out and do no harm. As for acid, you may need to cold stabilize or even add acidex or similiar to reduce the acid but do an acid test to see really where it is as your fruit may have been very low to begin with and recipes are never very accurate to follow as far as acid amounts and sugar anyways as those 2 #'s will vary immensely depending on when the fruit is picked and what kind of varietal of that fruit it is. A Granny Smith apple will be much different than a Macintosh typically for example.

Grrrr. Didn't make it to supplier in time. They close at 5, and my last meeting at work ran late. Should I pitch the yeast tonight or wait?

as long as you added K-meta to the must and extra day for the enzyme to work won't hurt a thing

K-meta is the same as a campden tablet, right? I added 3 of those, crushed.

I guess what I really need to know is if I should pitch the yeast now, or wait until I get the acid adjusted.

Including the fruit bag, I'm at the 3 gal mark in my 6 gal primary. Should I go buy more fruit and add water to 6 gal mark? Peach tree on the farm is already done. I really wanted to just keep it OUR peaches, but realize I don't have a choice at this point. What other options do I have? Some folks say peaches don't have enough body, so do I add some grape juice concentrate and water?

Please help. I don't know how long this stuff can sit in the primary safely.

Latest posts

Back