Massive Rhubarb Plant

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have an answer to that but it doesn't take much to test so try it both ways, test it cold then warm it and compare.

If you go to equipment and sanitation forum and search for ph meter you will get a few threads about storage issues. I can’t figure out how to copy a thread link in the app so I will try to post a couple links later today.

The meter has a cap on the bottom of it. I put some tap water in the cap and put it back on the meter and put the meter in the case. Are you able to direct me to the thread that talks about how to store these. Does this sound like a good idea? It doesn't say anything in the instructions.
After use, rinse the glass electrode and gently dry it with a tissue ( poking it up and around). Then put the cover back on and pack it away until you need it again. Your final pH is good. Just for a thrill ! The next time you extract any rhubarb juice - measure the pH before you make any additions. I got a pH of 2 with my raw juice.

The meter has a cap on the bottom of it. I put some tap water in the cap and put it back on the meter and put the meter in the case. Are you able to direct me to the thread that talks about how to store these. Does this sound like a good idea? It doesn't say anything in the instructions.

I don't know anything about your particular meter, but for most decent meters, the typical recommendation is to rinse it off with DI water, and store it in the cap provided with pH Meter Storage Solution. The solution will protect the sensor on the meter and preserve its life expectancy.

I don't know anything about your particular meter, but for most decent meters, the typical recommendation is to rinse it off with DI water, and store it in the cap provided with pH Meter Storage Solution. The solution will protect the sensor on the meter and preserve its life expectancy.
I agree. But these cheap units are not high quality electrodes. The recommendation for these 'pencil' pH meters is to store dry. The other recommendation is to toss them every year and get a new one. But - thinking about it now - most analytical labs would replace their electrodes at least once a year, depending upon use.

If you go to equipment and sanitation forum and search for ph meter you will get a few threads about storage issues. I can’t figure out how to copy a thread link in the app so I will try to post a couple links later today.
Perfect, just needed the right heading.

After use, rinse the glass electrode and gently dry it with a tissue ( poking it up and around). Then put the cover back on and pack it away until you need it again. Your final pH is good. Just for a thrill ! The next time you extract any rhubarb juice - measure the pH before you make any additions. I got a pH of 2 with my raw juice.
For sure, will take the reading at the beginning next time, now that we have the meter.

And are you sure the bottom cap isn't for storing a little water for the probes? Just got home from work, saw your post and emptied it out. It was all in there, nice and leak proof.

Is there any good, all encompassing, beginner information on PH readings. I really don't know what your number or this one means. And a few weeks back someone asked for the PH reading of the soil the rhubarb is in. Can I measure the PH in the dirt with this?

This sounds perfect but it didn't come with any "storage" solution. There are the red and green packs, called PH Buffer Powder. It just describes their use for calibrating though.

I did just rinse it off. It's been in the cap with a little water all day though. This seems like a perfect little water storage container for it.

But these cheap units are not high quality electrodes.

Hmmm... first you call me old, now you call me cheap. Gonna give a girl a bit of a complex if you keep this up. :)

We'll give this one a go for a couple of batches. By then I'll know what I'm doing and maybe we can find and invest in something a little higher quality. I have a feeling this is the first of many batches of rhubarb wine. It seems like a must have with the acids in rhubarb.

For sure, will take the reading at the beginning next time, now that we have the meter.

And are you sure the bottom cap isn't for storing a little water for the probes? Just got home from work, saw your post and emptied it out. It was all in there, nice and leak proof.

Is there any good, all encompassing, beginner information on PH readings. I really don't know what your number or this one means. And a few weeks back someone asked for the PH reading of the soil the rhubarb is in. Can I measure the PH in the dirt with this?
PH is the measure of the hydrogen ions in a solution. It goes from 0 (most acid) to 14 (most alkaline). Distilled water is 7 wine is generally between 3 and 4. Whites around 3.2, reds 3.6. Why does it matter, the amount of SO2 you need to protect your wine is related to the pH. Lower pH less.

There is another related measurement of acid. PH is the amount of acid TA (Titratable acid) is the strength of the acid. Different types of wine tend to end up at similar TA. You need a test kit to measure it and some folks seldom measure it.

Can you use it to measure the PH of your dirt, sure, dissolve it in some distilled water and measure away. You should recalibrate your pH meter every time you use it, but I don't if I am checking a few days within the last time I calibrated it.

Wonderful explanation, thank you cmason.

The less PH, the less SO2 needed. A more acidic wine would require less of SO2 because the acids would protect the wine more and this is the reason we test. Got it.

And how much dirt to how much distilled water. Make it like a mud, ½ and ½ or just a couple of tablespoons?

If you are going to use that meter you need to make the dirt as liquid as possible to ensure the meter is taking an accurate reading. That meter is designed for liquids so you need to make the mud liquid.

Hmmm... first you call me old, now you call me cheap. Gonna give a girl a bit of a complex if you keep this up. :)

We'll give this one a go for a couple of batches. By then I'll know what I'm doing and maybe we can find and invest in something a little higher quality. I have a feeling this is the first of many batches of rhubarb wine. It seems like a must have with the acids in rhubarb.
Nah, your not cheap. Just the meter. I use these pencil pH meters and I am far from cheap. For the level of accuracy that we need they do an excellent job. The real expensive meters (used in analyical labs) are different in the sense that you can be working to finer levels of precision. But the thing is - their probes get 'tired' just as fast. So I keep mine for a year then if I start to suspect it's readings, I just order another one.

This sounds perfect but it didn't come with any "storage" solution. There are the red and green packs, called PH Buffer Powder. It just describes their use for calibrating though.

I did just rinse it off. It's been in the cap with a little water all day though. This seems like a perfect little water storage container for it.

Here’s the link to a product, there are hundreds of others out there, just search “pH storage solution”. Any equipment worth buying is worth caring for.

https://www.midwestsupplies.com/ph-...MIgri3gpf22wIVQwOGCh0Xwg7UEAQYCSABEgLYKPD_BwE

I use these pencil pH meters and I am far from cheap.

Got lost in a few PH meter threads last night and while still a little unsure of exactly how they operate and the proper care instructions (seems a little debatable) there sure is a wide variety of them. It looked like they can go up as high as 500.00.

One thing I didn't see talked about were the batteries. If they are giving up after a year, maybe like fire alarms and clocks and things, the batteries need to be changed?

That's a great site johnd. Got lost in there for a while this morning. Was looking at other stuff to order to make up for the 30.00 free shipping and really liked the look of this book:

https://www.midwestsupplies.com/techniques-in-home-winemaking

And then found out that the shipping is only good for the US. It said Alaska too. How can that be? I'm right here, in the middle, way closer than Alaska. Our big brother neighbor always leaves us out of the equation when it comes to shipping costs. And then they charge extra cause our money isn't as valuable and well, a 10.00 bottle ends up more like 20.00. That is a great site though. I wonder if there is an equivalent in a Canadian site.

Now that I know what we're talking about with the storage solution, I will see what I can find around here. Thank you John.

Got lost in a few PH meter threads last night and while still a little unsure of exactly how they operate and the proper care instructions (seems a little debatable) there sure is a wide variety of them. It looked like they can go up as high as 500.00.

One thing I didn't see talked about were the batteries. If they are giving up after a year, maybe like fire alarms and clocks and things, the batteries need to be changed?

That's a great site johnd. Got lost in there for a while this morning. Was looking at other stuff to order to make up for the 30.00 free shipping and really liked the look of this book:

https://www.midwestsupplies.com/techniques-in-home-winemaking

And then found out that the shipping is only good for the US. It said Alaska too. How can that be? I'm right here, in the middle, way closer than Alaska. Our big brother neighbor always leaves us out of the equation when it comes to shipping costs. And then they charge extra cause our money isn't as valuable and well, a 10.00 bottle ends up more like 20.00. That is a great site though. I wonder if there is an equivalent in a Canadian site.

Now that I know what we're talking about with the storage solution, I will see what I can find around here. Thank you John.

I've seen our Canadian members chatting about suppliers in Canada, so there should be some available for you to purchase from, just don't know who they are. The book you referenced is excellent, many have read it and use it as a reference on a regular basis.

Awesome. He’s done well with the cover and the name too. There were a lot of books there and that one was very attracting, well to me anyway. Jumped right into the virtual cart.

Was trying to find a Canadian site (not going well) and came across some site (thought it was his) offerings signed copies for 21.00. That sounded cool and like a good deal. Went to check out and the shipping was 17.00. With taxes, it was over 30.00. That was kind of crazy. Backed right out of there.

That drove me straight to Amazon. They are offering his book for 17.00 and they have some storing solution too. Not the one John recommended but would this stuff work:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0071AR9XI/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

If so, my girlfriends getting another call.

Last edited by a moderator:
That solution looks like it'll work just fine, and get some DI water from the store (distilled water) for cleaning your electrode between samplings and after use / before storage. I keep mine in a little squirt bottle for easy use.

Sure hope you're able to get the book, it'll be an invaluable tool for you.

Back