Martina’s Marigold Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MedPretzel

Reaction score
I have started a yellow marigold wine yesterday. It was still the crop from last year, and I had to make room for this year's harvest.
smiley36.gif

I believe it's going to be more of a golden color. I used Lalvin 7211B (or something with that number combination) this time.

The beginning SG was 1.085, which is nice, because I can now top off with water and not have to worry about anything. I didn't use any grape concentrate. This one is going to be pure marigold. I might end up adding some if it lacks body, but I'm not sure yet.

I am making 5 gallons of this one. Yippee!

I will keep you posted!

P.S. Oh yes, I also have 17.5 quarts of lilacs that are in the freezer already! Yahoo!

Sounds good. Please explain the part where you say you won't have to worry about topping with water because the must SG was 1.085.

smiley25.gif

Oh, I meant that I push up the SG a little higher than what some books say in order not to water the wine down by topping off with water.

Make any sense?!?
smiley2.gif

Yes, but 1.085 is only about 11%, right? That would be good for me, but some think they gotta have 14% or more. Anyway, just wondered.

Hmmm.

I guess you are right. I will put more sugar in when I rack to the primary. I will be careful for new fermentation (i.e. bubbling).
smiley36.gif

Thanks for doing the math for me. I'm a math dummie.

I didn't do any math, did I? I wouldn't add any sugar when you rack, then you won't know where the heck you are. I think it will be great just like it is. Why overpower that delicate flower flavor with too much alcohol?

smiley9.gif

Thanks, Glenvall. You saved my wine -- again!
smiley32.gif

Hope you are doing well.

Martina

at my house? 3000. (full shade)

At my mom's house? 2. (Full sun, the plants are about as big as big watermelons)

UGH!
smiley7.gif

I have stirred and stirred and stirred and stirred. I have watched it overflow and overflow and overflow and overflow. I have waited 2-3 days in between these terrible stupid stirring episodes just to see that there are more *(&^^% bubbles forming in my 6-gallon carboy. I even broke my wine-whip today. Stupid thing is obviously not doing squat. So not only do I have a bung in my marigold carboy, I also have a stupid, dumb wine-whip in there.

I would dump this wine down the drain had I not tasted it. It is so wonderful! I just don't understand why this foaming and foaming and bubbling and $%##$@&* STIRRING is not coming to an end!!!! I have been doing this for precisely 3 weeks -- every 2-3 days.

Oh well, I just thought I'd give you all an update on my idiotic wine.
smiley7.gif

Maybe my 2nd batch of yellow marigolds will "pass all it's gas" VERY quickly.
smiley36.gif

Top it up well, airlock it, leave it in your cellar indefinitely. That is the final word on this one, Martina my dear. Forget about it, but don't forget to check the liquid in the airlock once a week. You will love me when one day you find it has degassed naturally on it's own. I think it is going through a good bacterial fermentation. Don't worry about it. Leave it and it will be fine.

OK? Great.

smiley4.gif

Latest posts

Back