Malolactic Fermentation - When is too late

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Time for another test this weekend. I've been stirring and each time I stir the wine it's like a volcano getting ready to erupt. Something is producing a boatload of gas. Wine smells great and tastes that way also. Maybe since temps have warmed up, the MLF is finally taking hold...

Test complete, no sign of MLF, will rack next week, add kmeta let clear again then plan on bottling the end of June. They taste great...

Test complete, no sign of MLF, will rack next week, add kmeta let clear again then plan on bottling the end of June. They taste great...

So, in summary, how many cultures did you pitch?
Can you post pics of this latest test?

Looks like you dealt with this for 6 months? If so that is a lot but assume the wine was fine due to the sulfite levels?

Interested in your results....I have 2 batches of Chardonnay that I pitched Wyeast 4007 culture and after 2 months I still see malo presence and was very close to move on and sulfite it, but then I thought about giving it close to another month and if not complete I will sulfite.:ft

I pitched the cultures 2 times. Different cultures each time. I have to assume the sulfite levels were the issue. I'll get some California or Italian juice in the fall and give it another go. I want to also get some complimenting grapes and ferment the juice with a lug of grapes. I think I still have the last test. I'll snap a pic and post later.

That's pretty much the way most of the tests looked. I'm happy with how it turned out. I'll bottle in a few months. It's been in a carboy for a year now. Not in any hurry for it..

ok, thanks, just got confused when you said "Test complete, no sign of MLF".
Now I see that you meant no activities or bubbles going on.

Latest posts

Back