Malolactic Fermentation, Topping Up, and sulfites

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigdogmom

Junior
Reaction score
Hi,
I just pressed my grapes, and my two lugs of Old Vine Zinfandel grapes ended up short of the five gallons I had expected. I am guessing that I will need between two to three bottles to get my full five gallons (the size of my carboy).

I want to try MLF, and am currently waiting the 24 hours to remove the gross lees before adding the bacteria. I bought three bottles of Bogle Old Vin Zin to top up my carboy with. Here is my question; will adding three bottles of wine with Sulfites effect the MLF? I have some Merlot that I could top up with that is unsulfured, but I really wanted to keep it all Zin if I can.

If it matters, the MLF I bought is Wyeast Malo-Lactic Culture blend, and I added 1/4 tsp Potassium Metabisulphite to the grapes 24 hours before starting the fermentation. I have neither the tools nor the knowledge on how to measure sulfates in wine.
Thanks!

My suggestion would be to buy a 3 gal carboy and a 1 gallon jug and split the wine after having inoculated it with the MLF. This should leave you with a little bit to top off come racking time.

Keeps your wine 100% your own.

I would do what Lechat suggested--it's the best way to handle it.

Hi, Thanks for your reply. Even though I have made at least 26 different batches of wine, this is a first for me and I am feeling kind of stupid.

If I split the batch, and put some in a 3gal and some in a 1 gal I will have about 2 bottles worth left over (give or take). That part makes a lot of sense to me.

My next question is, what do I do with the +- 2 bottles? If it they have the MLF bacteria in them, they to will try to ferment, right? Do they make bungs for wine bottles? If I throw them in the fridge, then if I try to use them for topping up, will the MLF wake up and start again in what ever I put them in? My knowledge of the bacteria is sadly lacking.

Sorry about all the questions, like I said before I am new to the MLF, and actually new to not having full carboys (for my fruit wines I usually just make a little extra in my initial ferment and then toss the extra cup or so; and kit wines are easy).
Thank you!!

Last edited:
Ok, let's see if I can make this easier to understand. The way you would do this is to inoculate the wine while it's in the 5 gallon carboy. Then, immediately siphon off into the 3 gallon carboy and the jug, or wine bottles, etc.

Yes, they do make a cork for wine bottles that you can put an airlock in--it's a #2.

ALL of it will get the MLF. You don't need to test each bottle for completion--if the 3 gallon carboy completes, the bottles will be complete as well. What form of testing are you going to use?

If you haven't already done this, Google MLF--there's a lot of white papers written on it. Read several--and follow the directions exactly.

You may have more questions---don't be afraid to ask.

Do they make bungs for wine bottles?

Yes! You may even have some already! Do you have any large bungs for carboys that have a "recess" in the middle? If you flip that over, the inner part fits a wine bottle. (They are actually called "universal bungs" for that reason.)

Thank you so much!! This clears it up and is certainly something that I can do. I really appreciate the help!

Duh...... Turn the bung over..... So simple, yet something that I totally missed. Guess I won't be joining MENSA this year ;)

Thank you!!!

Sorry to confuse the topic more for you.

To answer your question - there should be no problem with the small amount of sulfites that 2-3 commercial bottles of wine would add to your wine. Especially if it is an older vs a newer vintage. The sulfites would be negligible. And the sulfite you added pre-ferment would have all blown off by now. So, if you want to go with your original plan, it should be fine.

I have oddball glass juice jugs for under a galleon amounts. Those one quart natural juices jars take a size 8-8.5 bung. Easier to syphone wine out of then a wine bottle with a skinny neck. I have a half galleon jug that takes a size 10 bung. Those Carla Rosa wine jugs hold 2-4 bottles, size 6 bung.
I just drink whatever is in the jug and take it to my LHBS to try different bungs. As long as its glass it will work!

Sent from my iPod touch using Wine Making

Back