Malolactic Bacteria

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it possible my wine is going through malo on its own? Im doing 18 gallons of Merlot Juice from Chile. Its been 16 days since i started fermentation, all in one big barrel. About day 7 i racked to secondary, one 15 gal demijohn and one 3 gal carboy and topped up. My sp now is at 0991-0992 does not seem to be going any lower. I have slight foaming at top rim of wine and if i take a flashlight i see tiny bubbles running up the side of the glass. Malo or just co2 escaping. Not sure if you can see the bubbles from the pic. Thanks.

It could be just off gassing, but MLF can easily occur spontaneously. I'd keep watching it for a couple of weeks.

Yes, i was thinking off gassing to. If that is what it is how long will that go on for? I do not remember my wine doing that last year...

I have seen that going on for weeks. It could still be finishing out a little AF as well. Degassing happens faster at warmer temps.

Great post thanks for everyone's questions and input. I continue to learn from all of your curiosity and wisdom.

doubt it is malolactic. Many people report that merlot, for some reason, can be really hard to get malolactic fermentation going.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you know why? Maybe Merlot really doesn't need malo then?

doubt it is malolactic. Many people report that merlot, for some reason, can be really hard to get malolactic fermentation going.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you know why? Maybe Merlot really doesn't need malo then?

I have never had this happen to me, but from what I understand it just happens sometimes. No real rhyme or reason. The fix is to try a different culture or blend some other must with the merlot. Doesn't have to be much, like 5% cab sauvignon or cab franc. But most reds benefit from malolactic.

Im thinking of starting malo...Am i still ok to do it ? Its been 21 days and fermentation is complete. Anyone use the Wyeast? Thats all i could find locally.

@Stevelaz did you add kmeta to stabilize? MLB don't like kmeta.

Wyeast is fine. Note that you need to bring it to room temperature before you pitch it.

Im thinking of starting malo...Am i still ok to do it ? Its been 21 days and fermentation is complete. Anyone use the Wyeast? Thats all i could find locally.

I had bad experience with the wyeast MLB. It pooped out and didn't fully convert the malic to lactic acid. Much better luck with the dried MLB. Check out morewine.com, RiteBrew.com, and the sponsor's forum for mail order options.

Then you are fine to do MLF.

Again, warm the malolactic bacteria to room temperature before you put them in.

It can take three months for MLF to work, and you likely will not see any visible evidence of it working.

There are test kits you can buy to check its progress.

I usually just taste mine to know when it is done; it changes from tart to soft in taste.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back