Making Wine Labels

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maui Joe

Reaction score
I spend way too-o-o much time doing artwork for requested labels. Surfed the net finding software programs that proclam wonders but the costs hold me back. Anyone used a good program worthy of hard earned money?

Joe,

I use Print Artist. It costs about $20-30 bucks and you can use their clipart or add your own. The real trick is a laser printer. The Epson Dura-Brite Inks work well, but still run a little. For that problem, I spray them with a very lite coat of matte finish. You can get it at any craft store.

The label paper I sell is $.15 per 8-1/2 by 11 sheet and is gummed back, so all you have to do is wet the back and slap it on the bottle.I will warn you that the cost, including ink is about $1.00 a page.

I have a program called Printshop that I bought at walmart for $9.99 + tax. I really like it. It allows me to transport whatever I want and has all the Avery label thingies, but can use any brand of label with it. It works great.

Thanks guys! I too have PrintShop 15, and I like the program too. I found a site that has a recipe to make a glue to apply and let dry. Then when ready, moisten and apply, much like the "old" postal stamps. I have made my master copiesusing my photo inkjet printer, then taking that to the local "Kinkos" and running them using the laser printer.

Good idea on top-coating them to repel moisture. Something like "Krylon" clear would probably work prior to cutting the labels?

Jim, try this website for the envelope glue:http://www.papershops.com/papershops/envelopes/makinggl ue.htm

I think that just www.papershop.com is easier. It's all an interesting site.
smiley17.gif
Edited by: Maui Joe

Jim, I just tried to link to papershop.com and it does not seem to show the glue issue. My shortcut to finding that was listing on "google" with the words, "Homemade envelope glue" and that worked. If you cannot get the recipe, then PM me and I'll get it for you. Oh wait! I think I got it this time!

Ingredients:

<UL>
<LI>6 tablespoons white vinegar
<LI>(4) 0.1 oz. packets unflavored gelatin
<LI>1 tablespoon vanilla extract (or any flavor that you like) </LI>[/list]

Directions:

<UL>
<LI>Bring vinegar to a boil in a small pan.
<LI>Add gelatin and stir until dissolved.
<LI>Add extract and stir until mixed.
<LI>Brush on thin layer onto back of an envelope flap...Let dry.
<LI>Moisten to apply. </LI>[/list]

Store excess glue in a sealed container and melt again for future use by putting in a pan of warm water. (I guess that the extract would not matter unless you're into licking "all those labels." I tested it and it works. I'll be using these next time I label my bottlesEdited by: Maui Joe

How does it hold up to moisture? For instance, condensation when chilling.Edited by: bdavidh

It holds up to par in the wine cellar, but I have yet to test it getting the label wet. It's a good question as to what degree would the label detach. I will have to give that a test and let you know. Previously, I used the 3M spray glue on the whole sheet but that had seemed quite hard to work with tacky wet glue.

George sells the pre-tacted label sheets that worked fine with my last wine kit and so far after I sprayed a Krylon clear coat on them and later cut the labels, they worked ok to date. You might want to mix a small batch of glue and try it out and do a test as well. I am still searching for the best application.

I've used the pre-pasted sheets, sealed and cut before. They hold up fine to small amounts of moisture and they come off easily. I couldn't get them to completely stick, the corners or edges would not stay down. It's probably from me getting them to wet or not wet enough. In any case, I don't want to spend that much time putting labels on bottles.

I'm using removable address labels now, they stick on great so far, and will come off easily, I hope. Once sealed, they hold up to moisture a bit better than the pre-pasted sheets.

More importantly to me, they're quick and easy to use.

Is that the "Avery" label sheets that you are presently using? I have had problems lining up the margins using pre-made labels of any kind including my art business cards. Therefore, I am presently using "Card Stock" which is a heavier paper and brighter. The one that Iam using is from Georgia Pacific, White Blanc/Blanco, 8 1/2" x11" sheets, available at places like Office Max and "Wally World." Good product in quantity for the money. If you're going to try that "envelope glue" lay it on heavy especially on the perimeter of the label and let dry. Try not to wet the label too much and squeege from the center out. That should avoid the edges from loosing the contact and avoid holding the edge when applying as well. Hope this helps!

No, OfficeMax brand single labels, comes in packs of 60, pretty cheap.

I don't make fancy labels, pretty much just the grape type, bottle date, alcohol %, and a small picture, usually my dog (in her usual state, sleeping.)

My pleasure Jim. I recently discovered that instead of "wetting the label" then apply, it adheres better by "wetting the bottle" with a "fine mist spray" bottle that my wife threw out that once had "hair spray'" in. I misted the bottle lightly, placed the label and squegged from the center out and it bonded well without softening the paper and presoaking the glue. I think that this is presently an easier application.
smiley1.gif

I have been concerned about putting labels on if you know later you will be taking them off again, is there an easy way to remove labels, my son got the bottles he used last time at the redemtion center and they are all clean, but I didn't see him do it or think about it till now. I was thinking of getting tags to put on the neck.

the bottle rinse vinator, how does that work hook to the faucet or is it a pump that you fill with stuff? and thanks for the link lots of good info
smiley32.gif

You fill it with sanitizing solution and invert the bottle over the center post and manually pump the bottle up and down and the solutionsprays the inside of the bottle.

OH...I got to have one of those
smiley29.gif
my order is getting bigger for geo
Edited by: AAASTINKIE

Back