Making Mango wine today

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok just racked my mango wine from the primary fermenter to the Carboy. Sp gravity. Was down to 1.002. Had an extra gallon of must left put it in a gallon container with a rubber glove that I pricked with a pin until tomorrow? Should I use this to make a slurry? Want to make skeeter pee! Or should I use this to top off my Carboy as I re rack?

I'd probably use it to top off. Do you have a lot of "stuff" floating in your wine? If so, you can count on losing a lot of volume when racking.

I'd probably use it to top off. Do you have a lot of "stuff" floating in your wine? If so, you can count on losing a lot of volume when racking.

Thanks Boatboy I will do that. I didn't have a lot of fiber from the mangos but I can see a lot of sediment. So I will use it for toping off.

I put the lees in a carboy and then in the fridge. Next time I rack I leave the lees. I actually wound up with an extra half gallon of wine when I racked off the gallon carboy from the fridge that held all the lees.

Sammyk said:
I put the lees in a carboy and then in the fridge. Next time I rack I leave the lees. I actually wound up with an extra half gallon of wine when I racked off the gallon carboy from the fridge that held all the lees.

You put the lees in a carboy then in the refrig? Why do you not keep out and with airlock and ferment out then add as you rack off the lees?

I am racking a lot because of the lees and they fall to the bottom faster in the fridge

How often should I re rack now?? Some of my books says every week at first some say every two and other say once a month to every two months. Also once I have racked into secondary to I swirl it or do anything. It is settling nicely.

It's been many months since I've done anything with my mango wine. It has been just sitting in the Carboy. I never clarified it and I would finally like to bottle it. What do I need to do at this point. I don't think there is any yeast left. I would like to back sweeten it. Do I need to clarify it still?

Boatboy24 said:
Is it not clear yet? Has it been degassed?

Yes it is very clear. We just racked it into another Carboy and put a tsp potassium sorbate in to the 5 gal. We should be able to back sweeten and bottle in 48 hours

Ours was still a bit hazy before we bottled, so we used sparkaloid to clear it; it took almost a week to start settling out, so we waited a couple of weeks to get it clear before bottling. If you want to backsweeten then you'll definitely want to add sorbate as well.

reeny said:
Yes it is very clear. We just racked it into another Carboy and put a tsp potassium sorbate in to the 5 gal. We should be able to back sweeten and bottle in 48 hours

Question we added 1 tsp of potassium sorbate to the 5 gals of mango wine. We made this wine almost a year ago. Do we need to add campden tablets before back sweetening?? Did we stabilize the wine enough??

I would say yes, but I don't know how much and when you've added kmeta (Campden tablets) in the past. It sounds like you haven't since you started the wine; if that's the case then yes, you definitely want to add some. The SO2 protects the wine from being oxidized, but changes from free SO2 to bound SO2 over time, so you need to add more when you rack and/or bottle to maintain the proper amount of free SO2.

Yes we haven't added campden tablets since the beginning. So it sounds like we should add 1 tablet per gal so we should add 5 tablets??

Last edited:
You may want to check on the amou nt of sorbate you added. It doesn't sound to me like you have added enough. Mine calls for 1/2 tsp per gallon. Yes you need to add 5 tablets. Make sure these are both added before you back-sweeten.

BOB

fivebk said:
You may want to check on the amou nt of sorbate you added. It doesn't sound to me like you have added enough. Mine calls for 1/2 tsp per gallon. Yes you need to add 5 tablets. Make sure these are both added before you back-sweeten.

BOB

Thanks I agree added the Camden tabs and more potassium sorbate. Guess we will wait another day or two to back sweeten but this mango wine is ready to bottle!!! Thanks everyone for all your help.

image-2154227216.jpg

Bottled 27 bottles of delicious mango wine last night. Finishing sp. gravity .990 back sweetened 12 bottles, 1.002, 8 bottles 1.008, and then 8 bottles 1.012. We think the the OG 1.085 and the TG was .990 we think the alcohol % is 12.5%

this am they had mangoes on sale for 3 for a dollar ... I purchased 30. Cut up, took the seed out and froze ...after my mustang grape and my fig are out of my Primarys, i will start a batch of mango..
Instead of water, i am using mango nectar made from concentrate,,,,its a Jiminex brand from Mexico..very sweet and very mango.

I LOVE mango but cannot really get good stuff up here.
I'm flying to FL this coming Friday and my brother tells me there are LOTS of mango down there now....hmm, tempted to bring 20 lbs.

Latest posts

Back