Major score on bottles

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrandpasFootsteps

Hillbilly-In-Training
Reaction score
Some of you may remember my angst begging for bottles when I first got started a few years ago. Since then I've been pretty good at having enough bottles.

This past weekend I made a major score off craigslist. 79 boxes of empties - 980 bottles total. All from the same winery and they all have easy to remove (water soak only) labels. They are nice bottles. I paid 20 cents per bottle. I usually don't pay for bottles but this will have me setup for years.

My wife's only question: Where are you going to store all these?

boxes.jpg

Your response to your wife should be... 'On the new wine rack, after all the bottles are filled."

These are used bottles? I can't see ever paying for used bottles, even at 20 cents. They should have paid you to take them away. Just my 2 cents.

I recently scored 60 cases for a good deal as well. Unused still in the box no labels.
My question is other than a wash in the dishwasher, a good hand rinse and a dose of sanitizer is there any other cleaning needed?
For instance on my used bottles I used a bottle brush. This doesn't seem as if it is needed in this case to me.

I would stick to your plan and avoid the brush. No need for it unless you see visible dirt.

Thanks alot. I'm amazed everytime I have a question what a great resource this is. I going to do some bottling tomorrow

Back