Low PH and Low TA blackberry

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arkansan07

Reaction score
Hey guys I started a large batch of blackberry today and have a couple questions. I pressed 80lbs of blackberries today and set the pulp aside in strainer bags. I added water and sugar to the 15gal mark and adjusted SG to 1.090. My PH was 3.0 and my TA was .36%. I picked these berries when they were super ripe so the acid was lower and the variaties I have are bred for lower acid. I put my bags of pulp into the primary and I am hoping that I will gain a little acid between now and racking. I am using Montrachet so I wont be metabolizing any malic. Do you guys think my TA will rise in thr next week from the strainer bags? Also should I try and raise that PH a little? It doesnt taste to acidic, but then again its super sweet right now.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1452207595.514287.jpg

80 pounds of blalckberries usually gives a little more juice than just 4 gallons, how did you press these? What kind of blackberries are you guys picking? So your real juice TA was 3x.36 or more like 1.08 for pure juice which is about in line or a little lower than most blackberry cultivars. You may have just diluted it to much and are going to make kind of a weaker tasting blackberry wine, I know many standard old recipes call for only 3 lb fruit/gal, you are using about 6lb/gal which is ok, while 10/lb/gal is better if you can balance the acid levels. You probably could have just added only 2 gal of water to this and had a very nice blackberry wine. Also blackberry main acid is citric not malic, malic is more like in apples and some in grapes. If you guys like oak blackberry with oak is very good, if you can get some dried elderberries you can add some of them to boost the tannins and deepen the color a little bit. WVMJ

It was my first time using a ratchet press so I may not have pressed enough. Either way all the juice ended up in the primary. I may use the oak like you suggested, got a big white oak that got struck by lightning I can cut up.

Latest posts

Back