Looking for economic bottling solutions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Affe

Wine Noob
Reaction score
Looking for an economic way to bottle my wines.

Runningwolf suggested the Buon Vino Gravity filler.

I have concord and pinot noir to bottle. Should I use clear bottles for the concord and green for the pinot? How do I know what cork sizes to get? What's a good, cheap corker?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Here is what I have been using for years...

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/winemaking-equipment/wine-bottling/bottling-tools-accessories/fermtech-plastic-bottle-filler.html

$2.75

Here is the result...

applewine005.jpg

I never have spilled more than literally a drop or two in a session. Gather 24 bottles together in a group at a time and fill them to the top, one after another. When the tube is withdrawn, the wine falls to the perfect height. Shrug. I can see how higher-end stuff is needed when running off 200 bottles or more, but for a puny lil 100-bottle run or less, this works just fine.

Floor corker is best but a hand corker is cheaper. If it was me, I'd get the Italian floor corker and be done with it, though. (I did.)

Generally, I was taught that green bottles preserve the wine's color better if it is exposed to light sources. If stored in the dark or very dim conditions, I am not convinced there is much of a diff between green and clear in stabilized wines as far as discoloration. I prefer the clear to show off my wines, unless my used ones happen to be green!

If you use a hand corker, #8 corks go in easier. If you use a floor corker, I always like to use the #9s because they provide just that lil extra snugness. 9 x 1 3/4" is what I use a lot.

Last edited:
Do you know if my 5/16" hose will work with this unit?

You won't need a hose. Everything is included. I have the portugeses floor corker which is about half the price of the Italian (approx $60). I love it and I've bottled over 3000 bottles with it. Like jswordy said the Italian one is better and may upgrade some day. I highly recommend that you do not waste money on a hand corker. Pick a floor corker, use #9 corks and do not soak them.

A lot of folks start off with the $3.00 bottling wand Jswordy mentioned.

I use the Buon Vino wirh vacuum. I like it a lot. I've used wands, Ferrari and now the Buon Vino. I wish I would've started with the latest option.

I guess that I am partial to using the allinone (LOL) the bottling part of it I really like ,mainly it is extremely fast,consistant level and I can bottle while standing.

Thanks Steve
http://allinonewinepump.com/

I agree 100%! because you can do so many things with it. I was just focusing on the economic part thinking he meant a few bucks. Dollar for dollar the all in one is the way to go.

Latest posts

Back