Long time lurker finally joins

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveWeasel

Junior
Reaction score
Hi all,

Thought it was time to stop reading the forum and finally join. I've been making wine since early 2007 and got into the hobby when another forum member told me about George's shop. I've been hooked ever since.

My first batch was a WE Red Burgundy (not great) followed by MM AJ Barolo (excellent now, wish I had saved more), MM AJ Petite Syrah (a bit harsh and perhaps some KT), MM AJ Pinomer (starting to get nice). For the 2008 Mix and Match I did the Meglioli Rojo Intenso and Rojo Grande (just recently bottled both but I can tell they are going to be amazing), the WE Pacific Quartet (getting ready to bottle, but early indications are that it will be great), and the RJS Tannat Merlot (in primary now). I also did a double batch of the WE Riesling Ice Wine which is in secondary now.

Generally speaking, I enjoy the big reds (Cabs, Barolos, spicy Pinots) as well as the occasional riesling/pinot grigio/desert wine.

I am currently trying to decide on my next couple of kits (now that I finally am freeing up some carboys). The main contenders right now are the Crushendo Super Tuscan, Crushendo Montagnac, Dashwood NZ Pinot (which George gave me a taste of at his shop and it was incredible), the MM AJ Castle del Papa or perhaps another batch of Barolo since I only have about 8 bottles left (so sad).

Anyways, just wanted to introduce myself and say thanks for all the advice and guidance on this site. It has been a great help.

Steve
Plano TX

Welcome, Sound like you have been busy.
smiley32.gif

Welcome Steve.....Glad you joined us...

Stay and share your experiences...

You have good tastes in wine, nice you are making your own now.

Merry Christmas!!!!

Welcome Steve....By your list of wines you are off to a very nice start....Enjoy and have fun...

Welcome to the forum weasel! You have certainly made some great wines already. I will tell you the WE Super Tuscan is a great one also. One more to add to the list would be the MM Renaissance Amarone with raisins. For one of the less than top of the line kits, it is extremely good.

Since you were able to gleam some help, now it's time for you to start helping some of the newer members. That is almost as much fun as making the stuff.

Welcome weasel!
smiley36.gif
So who brought you here? Anyway, glad you are here and hope you log on often and share your wisdom with others.

Welcome to the forum! It's a great advantage to be able to get samples at the store! Good for you!
smiley32.gif

Jeff Higdon got me started with this obsession...um, I mean hobby.

Thanks for the welcomes all.

Thanks for the advice appleman. I've done a lot of reading about the two kits you mentioned and I'm curious as to your opinion on how long they both need to age. Does the crushendo really need 3-5 years to peak? Are the renaissance kits really good at 6 months? I ask because with my MM AJ kits I definitely saw a change at about 10-11 months post bottling - they went from a bit harsh to extremely good. Edited by: SteveWeasel

My storage conditions are a bit higher in temps than optimal so the wine ages a bit faster, but the Crushendo was extremely good after a year and was as good at 2 years as it is now at about 3. The Renaissance Amarone was really good at bottling, but then I didn't bottle it until it had been made almost a year. It definitely comes into it's own sooner than the AJ kits do- that's why we recommend those and the Vinifera Noble kits for earlier drinking wines.

Steve, welcome to the Forum!!!!! Whew.......lots of delicious wines you are harboring there!!!
smiley36.gif

Latest posts

Back