WineXpert Lodi Old Vines Zinfandel: Am I missing some oak?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

another_bill

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm about to make my first foray into a kit with grape skins. The WE Lodi Old Vines Zinfandel kit looked promising, but the instructions are leading me to believe that I'm missing some oak powder or chips. I do have a bag of oak cubes which get added in the third phase.

I know the instructions for the non-grape skin kits say you may or may not have powder/chips, but this seems pretty specific.

So am I missing something, or is this just a failure to update/inaccurate instructions? This is a rather pricey kit and a lot of time waiting to find out its missing something. Does anyone with experience using this kit have any insight?

Thanks! :h

another_bill said:
Hi, I'm about to make my first foray into a kit with grape skins. The WE Lodi Old Vines Zinfandel kit looked promising, but the instructions are leading me to believe that I'm missing some oak powder or chips. I do have a bag of oak cubes which get added in the third phase. I know the instructions for the non-grape skin kits say you may or may not have powder/chips, but this seems pretty specific. So am I missing something, or is this just a failure to update/inaccurate instructions? This is a rather pricey kit and a lot of time waiting to find out its missing something. Does anyone with experience using this kit have any insight? Thanks! :h

If the kit came with a bag of oak cubes, you won't have chips or powder. You are good to go with what you have.

That is so not true. Many kits come with oak powder or dust and or chips that get added right up front when you pitch the yeast. The cubes or beans get added in secondary down the road. Depends on the kit.

You should contact Winexpert just in case. It would be surprising if there was absolutely no oak addition for the primary. That's an easy way to help smooth out the wine upfront. The kit is officially listed with an oak level of 'Medium', though, which is lower than all the other red Eclipse brand kits except the Pinot Noir.

Bill, I have the same kit on at present and there was only a bag of oak cubes that I added after secondary fermentation in the clearing phase. I plan to leave them in for a long period.

100_0543.jpg

100_0544.jpg

I also feel the same about this kit. I have just removed the oak cubes this evening after 15 days. Instruction calls to rack and remove oak after 8 days sitting in the carboy. I'm pretty new so I have almost follow the instruction.

Bill, I have the same kit on at present and there was only a bag of oak cubes that I added after secondary fermentation in the clearing phase. I plan to leave them in for a long period.

That is awesome Rocky, looks like a little family of wine "carboys".

Yeah, DJ. I ended up with a 6.5 gallon, 1/2 gallon and most of a 750 ml bottle. I will probably net 7 gallons after racking but I added a 96 oz. can of black cherries to the primary. That is were most of the extra volume originates.

I just bottled this same kit and had the same question. I did call Wine Expert and was told that it does not have any sawdust to add at the start, just the one bag. I left it in for longer than it said and then added some extra oak.
My wife and I were at a wine club meeting last night and he brother called us. We have them a bottle two weeks ago and said let it sit for at least a month or two. They did not, they opened it and said it was one of the best wines they have ever had. They just had to call and tell us.

Now that I think about it some more I may have also added a bit of extra tannin to it. I am not near my notes or I would check. I do know I let it bulk age for at least six months before bottling.

Last edited:
Careful with the tannins, too much makes a 6 month wine a 3 year wine.

Don't ask me how I know...

Zins dont really call for much oak, right? Going to do my first OVZ next year with the Mosti Meglioli LR. I wonder how much oak it will come with.

Latest posts

Back