Leinie Princess's First Attempt

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you all for the compliments! As far as bottling, degassing, and racking goes...haven't a clue. But you'll all be the first to know, for I will be posting with questions!

How, oh HOW did I miss this thread! LeinieP! I am so proud of you!

OK, so it's not 'real' wine but it's going to have alcohol. Good for you. We'll work on getting you over to the dark side later.

BTW, next time you're going to shake up a batch of this stuff, think video. Think YouTube. It'll be more popular than Catalina doing her stage show on My Name Is Earl. You could have a whole web site!

smiley4.gif

Trashy! Where have you been? I got worried that maybe you stopped liking wine and we'd have to hold an intervention!

You may not think mead is "real" wine, but sometimes I'm "really" ditzy, so it's a good one for me to start with. I'm waiting for the Joy of Home Wine Making to show up in the mail any day now. I'll breeze through that (I hope) and then continue on my wine making journey.

Ah YouTube. It's a wonderful thing. But I'm trying to get back out into the real world of employment...I'm not sure how well my being on YouTube would go over with a future employer. Once I'm employed...watch out!

smiley10.gif

LeiniePrincess said:
Ah YouTube. It's a wonderful thing. But I'm trying to get back out into the real world of employment...I'm not sure how well my being on YouTube would go over with a future employer. Once I'm employed...watch out!

smiley10.gif

It depends on the employer!

So, the recipe says to bottle when it's clear. How clear is clear? It's been the mandatory 2 months, and then some, I'm not sure I'm ready to go. The raisins are sinking a little but the oranges are still up there. Suggestions? Photos?

You can cheat, and rack it.
smiley3.gif
If you do, after you rack it, pour the lees through a regular kitchen strainer (sanitized of course!) and add back the liquid that you get from it. I wouldn't do any squeezing or pressing at this time. Top it up with marbles or just rack it into a smaller jug or bottle. Air lock it and let it settle.

Latest posts

Back