Leinie Princess's First Attempt

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NW, I really don't drink much of it but I sure seem to have a lot of friends all of a sudden!
smiley4.gif
I ply them with liquor!
smiley15.gif

Joan,

You have quite the list there. Where in your house do you keep all of this glass. I remember a picture a long time ago of your kitchen.....maybe it was your ktichen....it looked very nice.Update us with your camera and show us your stuff.

Ramona
Edited by: rgecaprock

Let's just say I don't have use of my kitchen table or my counters!
smiley4.gif

And the pantry has six 1 gallon jugs sitting on the floor! Gotta keep the AO in the dark, dontcha know!!

Joan, it took me as many months as you have gallons of wine to start my first batch! I am motivated now. Not to mention impressed.
smiley32.gif

Now that you've started, Leinie, you'll be hooked! I think only crack is more addictive than winemaking!
smiley4.gif

I know it's only been three weeks, but I thought I'd check to make sure it looked okay. Here it is. Tell me what you think.

20080219_120656_mead6.jpg

looks good, but i think that you should have that toped off by now. but im pretty now at this?

Meads do not need to be topped up like wine does as honey is a natural preservative and thats why honey really never goes bad, it just crystallizes and when it does that you just heat it up to get it back to liquid form.

After I posted yesterday I went back to the recipe and said, "hmmm, I should top it off." Glad to see so many people confirmed that for me! It's what you're all here for!
Thanks!

How many bottles of wine do you think you will get out of your gallon, Leinie? My three have a LOT of non drinkable stuff in them.

Oh Ramona! Following in mom's snow tracks? Nothing like rubbing it in!
smiley18.gif
It snowed all day yesterday, (although, nothing like what the eastern part of the country got!) and today is a beauty day.
I think that this is Mini Me's 1st of many batches of wine. Just a sampler batch. Like shampoo bottles in a hotel...

Gratz on the first batch!

I got 10 bottles from a 3 gal batch. I wasn't very good (still not at times) at racking so maybe could have gotten more. When I do it again I am going to rack more aggressively and let that settle out in smaller jugs. I didn't degas before I racked (but I did before I bottled). There are various opinions on if you should degas before or after racking. I used sweet mead yeast and it's sweet (but I also over did the spices for my taste so will tone those down next time). I needed a bent coat hanger to clear out the oranges.

Latest posts

Back