Leaf puckering

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marctee

Reaction score
I've noticed some leaves on two different varieties showing some puckering. Is this familiar to anyone? I'm wondering whether it represents some nutrient deficiency.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1468857198.775680.jpg

ImageUploadedByWine Making1468857209.668089.jpg

ImageUploadedByWine Making1468857219.937400.jpg

Did you happen to fertilize recently? They almost look like they got too much nitrogen.

What I noticed is that you have no Japanese beetle damage. Those leaves look good!

Too much nitrogen, hmmm. We are not fertilizing, only using yellow clover and black medic as nitrogen fixing cover crops, and a scoop of home-cured compost once a year.

No Japanese beetles in these parts.

2, 4-d can cause cupping between the veins of the leaves if you've gotten some drift. It's a common ingredient in weed'n feed lawn weed killers. Grapes are very sensitive to it and it has a volatility characteristic that makes it difficult to avoid. It can be sprayed or used in granules and the next day if there is dew and humidity conditions it can form a vapor that will drift great distances. Another symptom is that the margins of new leaves will have little finger like protrusions.

Back