Leaf Malnutrition?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This really looks like Phenoxy herbicide (2,4-D) or Glyphosate (Roundup®) injury, maybe an over spray of an herbicide near the plant.

Thanks for the reply. You know i haven't sprayed at all. Not sure if neighbors have though. Have you seen this before?

What kind and how old are your plants. 2-4-D will stay in the ground for years and can travel some pretty good distances and do damage. any farms near by?

This problem has just hit some one year old vines and seven year old vines alike.

I've just started giving them some worm tea. Maybe then i can rule out malnutrition. I am hoping it isn't viral.

Vittorio,
I grow Pumpkins, there are many similarities between the two plants, even common diseases and insect damage, not to mention nutrient requirements.
I've seen similar many times with herbicide damage, at first it appeared that it could be Mosaic virus, but I really believe it to be an herbicide. I'd ask your neighbors what they spray.
Worm tea is great, I'd give them soluble Kelp/seaweed, it can help a plant that is in shock.

We always recommend a product called Sil-guard (Potassium Silicate) Silica hardens the leaf and strengthens the xylem vessels (stem) of plants. It reduces water loss through transpiration, and is particularly beneficial when a plant is under environmental stress. By hardening the cell walls of plant tissue, silica also enhances a plant's resistance to sucking insects and wards off fungal disease.
Anyway, I don't mean for this to become a sales pitch, message me and I can go over a few products that may help, but just be advised if it is herbicide damage, it will be difficult to recover the effected area.
Tom

Last edited:
Definitely 2,4-D damage. It is air-borne so it can hit and miss depending on air currants. A lot of lawn weed control has 2,4-D hidden in it (check the label). Hopefully they will grow out of it next year.

Hey thanks fellas. I appreciate your prompt replies and advice. Best regards.
Victor C.

I'm having similar, but not as severe problems with some of my muscadine vines. Triangle shaped leaves and no vigor. I've suspected 2,4,D damage. I have farm crops on 2 sides of my triangle shaped vineyard.

This is a pain on the butt, however it is still early in the growing season. So, i am hoping that our plants can overcome this poisoning.

Hi, my brother-in-law ask me to look at his sick Niagara vines . We have been using Malcozeb since shoots were about 1 inch. I believe he is applying every 10 to 14 days. He also has cab franc, Fredonia, and Chardonell, which are all doing well. Please look at pictures and let me know if you have any idea what is causing this.

image-1509801935.jpg

image-1722091023.jpg

image-2089278512.jpg

Back