WineXpert LE 2012 kits - would anyone risk making one at this point?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waygorked

Reaction score
After tasting a few of the 2012 LE kits last night, I fell in love with the Washington Riesling Chenin Blanc kit. I just sourced one online. Is it safe to make a kit that is this old?

After tasting a few of the 2012 LE kits last night, I fell in love with the Washington Riesling Chenin Blanc kit. I just sourced one online. Is it safe to make a kit that is this old?

I've never made a kit that old before, but it should still be okay as long as the packaging is in good shape. This one came out in March, I think, so its only 9 months old.

Started this kit just over one month ago. Everything seems fine and I'm happy with everything so far.

Looking forward to trying this in about a year.

Josh

This question has come up before. Someone recently even contacted one the kit companies. Conventional wisdom seems to be that the juice will be fine, but you may want to swap out the chemicals and yeast to be on the safe side. I have no independent knowledge, but otassium sorbate has been said to be particularly prone to diminishing effectiveness.

I would be surprised if the bisulfite and potassium sorbate were suspect at this point provided they are still sealed in their pouches and have not become wet. Easily replaceable, though, if you need peace of mind.

Started 1 2012 WE LE kit a month ago and 2 more yet to start. From my experience you should have no issues with the juice or the additives supplied. I have even made them up to 3 years old with no problems. Actually had a bottles of New Zealand Merlot last night that had 2008 on the label and was 18 months old (you can do the math) and it was very smooth.

cheers

Latest posts

Back