Latest MLF results

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are latest results from yesterday's test.

I decided to add Kmeta to both batches of 2nd run.
I think I am doing the same on the Amarone and Sangio.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1419264664.668693.jpg
ImageUploadedByWine Making1419264675.139387.jpg

It looks like it is really struggling to finish ML completely. Sometimes they just stick and don't finish. Just be wary of long term stability. You will want to go for the higher end of SO2 levels to keep it stable longer term. I know folks usually recommend 0.5 molecular SO2 for reds and 0.8 for whites. But I would opt for the higher in this case just to be safe.

Same paper shows a bit better after a couple days, see this.

I am racking the Amarone and Sangio and adding kmeta today.
I don't know why but all my MLF tests always show a smear of malic left over and typically stay there, like if it got stuck.

But I do everything per the books:
-hydrate VP41 with Acti-ML
-add Opti Malo to wine
-pitched hydrated VP41
-temp in the basement ~ mid or high 60s
-use brew belt when needed and stir once in a while

The Sangio is the biggest batch going in a 15gal beer stainless steel keg, wine temp was in the mid 60s this time but added a brew belt on/off to make sure the temp didn't go up too much.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1419363438.076875.jpg

Last edited:
Running my first mlf on a blackberry Malbec, using white labs bacteria. First time I've ever blown my bung. From everything I've read, I didn't think it would be that vigorous. From everything I've read, blackberry can be highly variable in malic acid (10-80%). Anyone think I can end up with too much lactic acid? Also, where do you buy your chromatography supplies from?

Latest posts

Back