LAST ROSES OF SUMMER

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthernWinos

Reaction score
Seems the weatherman has been playing tricks on us...predicting frost nearly every night this week...so far we have been lucky.....

So, took a few moments to go out to smell and pick a few roses for the table...

The last roses of summer are the real charmers....

BETTERLTSmallWinCE.jpg
HFHSmallWinCE.jpg
REDSmallWinCE.jpg
BLUSHSmallWinCE.jpg
PINKSmallWinCE-1.jpg
SINGLEREDSmallWinCE.jpg
WILDSmallWinCE.jpg
YELLOWSmallWinCE.jpg
PLUSSmallWinCE.jpg

Life is Good!!!

Edited by: Northern Winos

stunning! I always get black spot and other fungus infections on my roses. They just don't do well on the coast with all the moisture.

Some varieties are more susceptible to black spot....

The roses at Bouchard Gardens blew my mind....they had all diseases as well as coastal diseases in check....They had a large crew taking care everything that had to be done.....What an awesome place.

There are other beauties out there too....not to be forgotten with the changing seasons....

pgSmallWinCE.jpg
sedWinCE.jpg
datSmallWinCE.jpg
flcabSmallWinCE.jpg
yellowsWinCE.jpg
astersWinCE.jpg

Not to be out done...the fruits show their beautiful colors too....

redsWinCE.jpg

Sometimes the best things are free.....Volunteer Morning Glories...

volSmall.jpg
bestmgSmall.jpg

And Mother Nature saves the best for last....The late blooming Gentains are the Queen of the Prairie this time of the year....

queenSmall.jpg
gentSmall.jpg

So it goes on the high plains of Northern Minnesota....

The Dahlias are still showing off their stuff....

prupSmall.jpg
redSmall-3.jpg
pinkSmall-4.jpg

There is a Frost Advisory for tonight....so they will be done for the year. I am kind of anxious for them to die back so I can dig the tubers....isn't that a terrible thing to say?????....They are still so pretty.

Beautiful as Ever, NW.

I just got back from a week in Virginia, spent a day at the Lewis Ginter Botanical Gardens. I thought of you the whole time. You have your own botanical gardens. I'll try to post some pictures soon. It is beautiful place to spend the day!!!!

Ramona

Went out a couple days ago and picked a few late roses before the really cold night set in....

Such lovely things....

lastrosesSmall.jpg

Gone now for another season.....
smiley19.gif

Yes they aregone for the season, but thanks to your pictures we can enjoy all winter
smiley32.gif

They say
"Gardeners have their memories so they can have roses in December"

I finally got around to digging the Canna, Dahlia and Amaryllis bulbs....
How can such pretty flowers have such ugly roots....

rootsSmall-1.jpg

Everything is out of the garden now, dug the last of the carrots yesterday...Just a few piles to get picked up and dumped on the compost pile...some manure hauled in and it plowed....

Jim will finish plowing his Soybean fields today....

I have cleaned up the yard, mowed the visible lawn yesterday and have pretty much "Thrown in the Trowel" for this years growing season....
smiley4.gif

Northern Winos said:
have pretty much "Thrown in the Trowel" for this years growing season....
smiley4.gif

Come'on!......................

We know better........................

What about that private little stash downstairs under the plastic and lights?
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley2.gif
smiley2.gif

Well, You got got me.....
smiley4.gif

It's my 'Winter Garden' to keep me sane.

The ivy is going nuts....

The Elderberries have roots coming out of the bottoms of the pots...

The Currants are slower...I should pull some of the plastic bags and have a better look.

The Geraniums cuttings have just been stuck in the dirt...

I love playing in the dirt.
smiley4.gif

My Elderberries do very well here in NC, but the currants and the boysenberries don't seem to do well at all. They come out good in the spring. then lose their leafs in late June, then start budding out again immediately. Some branches get leafs and some just die, then the whole plant dies......... Don't get it. I have tried about a dozen plants now and they all do the same thing. I suspect I'll just stick with the currants from a can........

This is really the Last Rose of this Season...

lastroseSmall.jpg

But there are pretty things indoors to enjoy...

cactusSmall.jpg

Life is Good!!!!

Isn't that plant in the last picture called an "Easter Cactus"?

My mother grew them in NY and thats what they were called because they bloomed at Easter time....... I don't remember if they bloomed any other time.

Very nice looking plant.

This one and others bloom twice a year....Around here it's Deer Season Cactus and Easter Cactus.....Think it is suppose to be Thanksgiving not Deer Season....but our daylight up here is different than the rest of the country.

I think they are light sensitive....they always bloom at this time, then again in the spring. I have 2 baby plants from a friend, they are also getting ready to bloom...just a couple on each plant.

Nice to have something that's happy and blooming.....
smiley4.gif

Latest posts

Back