Labels: Where do I start?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

univity

Reaction score
I have yet to design any labels, mostly because I am not sure exactly where to start.

Should I use the designer and buy labels from onlinelabels.com?
If I want to just use Word or Publisher and get labels from George - what do you guys do? Is there a standard label size or something (like when you buy Avery labels to print xmas card addresses or whatever). I am pretty sure I can come up with some decent labels on my own once I get some templates, I am just not sure where to start.

In the meantime I did do the following with some gift tags, silver gift-wrap string stuff, and my P-Touch... One nice thing about them is when in the wine rack you can see exactly what the bottle is without removing it if you let the tag hang out. They look nicer than the picture leads u to believe. Putting the labels on straight seems to be my biggest challenge. Maybe I need a few glasses of wine to calm down the shakes!

20080719_110215_DSC00442_univit.jpg
Edited by: univity

I use Avery's free blank sheet download and George's pre gummed label paper.
<t></t><t></t><table id="products" align="center" border="1" bordercolor="#000000" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><t><tr><td align="default" width="2%"><div align="center">4578 </td>
<td width="5%"><div align="center">
%5Cimages%5C6112_sm.gif
</td>
<td width="20%">

White Label Paper - 18 pk.

Natural Wheat Glue - 8.5" X 11". Can make up to 12 labels per sheet.</td>
<td width="2%"><div align="right">$4.99</td>
<td width="2%"><div align="right">$4.99 </td>
<td width="5%"><div align="right">$4.74</td>
<td width="5%"><div align="center">Stocked </td>
<td width="15%">

Add to Shopping Cart

Add to Wish List

Shipping Cost Estimate</td>
</tr>

<tr>
<td align="default" width="2%"><div align="center">6114 </td>
%5Cimages%5C6114_sm.gif
</td>
<td width="20%">

Wine Label Paper - Blue

<td width="2%"><div align="right">$0.30</td>
<td width="2%"><div align="right">$0.30 </td>
<td width="5%"><div align="right">$0.29</td>
<td width="15%">

Add to Shopping Cart

Add to Wish List

</tr>

<tr>
<td align="default" width="2%"><div align="center">6113 </td>
%5Cimages%5C6113_sm.gif
</td>
<td width="20%">

Wine Label Paper - Canary Yellow

<td width="2%"><div align="right">$0.30</td>
<td width="2%"><div align="right">$0.30 </td>
<td width="5%"><div align="right">$0.29</td>
<td width="15%">

Add to Shopping Cart

Add to Wish List

</tr>

</t></table>

These labels come right off with a hot water soak and print very nice with an inkjet and really nice if you have a laser printer. Hope the link below works for you, if not just Google Avery free downloads. I usually use the 3 1/3" x 4" under shipping labels.

Shipping Labels
<t></t><t></t><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><t><tr><td width="6">
arrow_ff9900_9x9.gif
</td>
<td width="5">
clear1x1.gif
</td>
<td>Multi-Use Labels
</td></tr></t></table>
Edited by: wade

I've been messing with designing a few. My bother got a program called Wine Label 3 and I've been playing around a bit with that. I like the "design your own" style so thats what I've been experimenting with. Other people use photoshop and other programs but I'm not that creative
smiley1.gif
As far as paper, I think several people here use regular (but good quality) paper and just use a glue stick to apply them. From what I've seen, you want to spray some shellac (sp?) or something like that on the paper so that they hold up to condensation and such that might happen. Hope this helps!

If you have access to a laser printer you don't need the shellac with regular copy paper but if you use an inkjet printer, the shellac will keep the labels from bleeding. The other nice thing about using copy paper and a glue stick is that it comes off so easily.

Thx Wade - exactly what I was looking for !
I will probably try some paper from george and just some plain paper and glue stick to see what works best for me. FYI - I have also found some things looking at the scrapbook section of a local crafts store (Michael's) - like they have paper punches that would be nice to cut out some neat shaped labels etc

im not really into "crafts" type stuff so I just want to do something that makes the process simple and easy

The glue stick works as well as Georges paper but is easier as you dont have to worry about getting the glue everywhere to get a good stick or the glue getting on the bottle when applying it as it sometimes squeezes out a little. The best way to do the glue stick is to cut them out, place a label on a waxed add and spread the glue that way. I put down a paper towel and place the wine bottle down on that to prevent the bottle from rolling. I use mainly Microsoft Picture It 7.0 which is a program that typically comes with a digital camera and does a fantastic job with little knowledge needed to operate. I have Photoshop CS which is a huge program and you can do anything with that program but a lot of editing skills are needed. Good luck. I like the idea of the paper punches.

Next month, I will havea new labeling system with peel and stick labels. You won't be able to add your own picture, but you will have about 50 choices.

That sounds like a good deal. Just be very selective in the paper stock for it. Some I have had work great and others are a real pain to get off. I cleaned over 10 cases today and cringed every time I came across some of the one paper. I needed to use the new razor blade trick- around, not up and down on those bad ones. Some come off great with a soak and others fall off. They all were different types of peel and stick.

They are supposed to peel right off after soaking for 30 seconds. The people using them all had excellent comments about the ease of creating and removing. The system was displayed today at the conference.

Maybe we can work out a deal with the manufacturer like you do with the corks as to have some custom made eventually.

well heck - maybe I will just wait and see what george has available with those new ones - I'm lazy when it comes to labels - I go through so much wine myself it kind of seems pointless to label just for me to take it off later

Thanks for the heads up!

I'm with univity....when I bottle, I go 50/50, the bottles that I will give away get lables and shrink capsules on top, and the ones we will drink get masking tape! I'm liv'n large!

If one wants to really get into the label making thing download GIMP. It's the best image tool out there, and it free. There are versions for UNIX and Windows. I created this label with it (my first attempt).

Frank

20080914_211340_fank-chianti-la.jpg

And Welcome to the forum ntx man....Hope you stay and enjoy this great hobby..
smiley1.gif

Nice, Frank!!!! I really like that label! Are you sure it was your first attempt???
smiley1.gif

Glad to have you here ntx man....

Nice looking label.....very professional looking.

Hope you stay awhile and share your knowledge.

Latest posts

Back