Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DasK

Reaction score
So, I've been contemplating making a snootier wine than I'm accustomed to. Something like a peach chardonnay? And as I'm browsing the Austin Homebrew Supply they state that the kits are 6 gallons. I have a 5 and a 6.5, but I thought these kits were typically suited for 5 gallons?

Is .5 gallons too much headspace if I rack into a 6.5? I'm getting ready to start another skeeter pee, so I have to figure out which carboy I'm going to rack that into.

Nope, those kits, are generally 6 gallon.

You really can't find true 6 gallon carboys, unless you find some older, used Mexican carboys. When you order a 6 gallon glass or Better Bottle, they are closer to 6.5 gallons.

So, 6.5 is standard; you just have to top off with a like wine. Merlot works to top off any red. Chard or Riesling for most any white, depending on sweetness.

You can make the kit using the smaller carboy. Some people use a smaller volume for their kit wines because it kicks up the alcohol and taste of the wine.

You have a number of options. If you start your kit out in a 7.9 gallon fermenter filled to the 6 gallon mark, when you rack you will no longer have 6 gallons (with the lees that are left behind). You will be able to fill a 5 gallon carboy and perhaps a good part of a 1 gallon jug. Just put an airlock on both and you will be fine. As was pointed out above by Robie, you can top off with a similar wine (a Chardonnay in your case). Further, with the first racking, you would probably be safe in the 6.5 gallon as there is still a great deal of CO2 coming out of the wine. The second racking, when fermentation has slowed, should definitely be into the 5 gallon with a small amount in a smaller jug, as this is the time to minimize "headspace."

Ahhh, I hadn't even thought of racking into two containers. I've done that a couple of times in the past with my one gallon jugs and racked extra off into a half gallon.

Latest posts

Back