WineXpert Kits in General

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maui Joe

Reaction score
Learning that wine kits seem to be designed not to have "long term aging" in mind, is it possible to "kick it up a notch" so that one may age them for more than they are designed to do? Three-five years++

Can't go wrong doing a kit, but more body, aroma and flavor is always desirable and a goal....

You can add sugar to raise the Sg to start and perhaps get the alcohol content up to about 14 or 15%. Add a teaspoon of grape tannin powder dissolved well in warm water. Use a little glycerine or wine conditioner to the finished product to increase mouthfeel and body. Chop up a banana and add to the must.

Keep in mind all this will void the warranty.

smiley19.gif

Thanks for the info...I'll try that on my next kit. Viewed your recipes , you must have a LARGE freezer to hold the stash! Thanks again!

Another way to increase the aging potential of a kit wine is to add oak beans. About 20-25 for a 6-gallon batch is sufficient. The oak will add tannin to the wine and thereby increase the body, aroma and feel. You should also bulk age the wine for at least 1 year to slow down the aging process. (The smaller the vessel, the faster the wine ages.)

When you bulk age, be sure to add some extra Potassium Metabisulfite at each racking and at bottling. Each time you rack you add oxygen to the wine, so the sulfites are necessary to remove the oxygen. Don't add more than 1/8 tsp. per gallon. I usually only use 1/4 tsp per carboy.

By the way, this method will not void the manufacturer's warranty.

That is good to know George. I like to bulk age with oak beans.

Wow, learning everyday...good to know. I read that there are differentways that "oak beans" are made in regards to changing flavors of wine taste? More on that if this is fact please...

Thanks Country, great info on oak!

This site is like "Jello," there's always room for learning!

I have added the StaVin link tothe resources page.

If anyone has anymore good links, pass them on. I will be happy to post as many as you can find.

Latest posts

Back