Other Kit wine that compares to commercials wine.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even sadder, with the Vineco LR offerings for 2014, looks like they don't come with grapepacks.

Not quite true. Both the Volcanic Red and Brunello from the Passport Series come with 2 L grape skins (but only 16 L must vs. 18 for the other kits).

Not quite true. Both the Volcanic Red and Brunello from the Passport Series come with 2 L grape skins (but only 16 L must vs. 18 for the other kits).

Sorry, I couldn't get past the Petit Verdot with no grapepak!

It's kinda sad. Cellar Craft used to put a 2.5 liter "super pack" in their big LR reds.

Is there any way to purchase extra grape packs? Also, I cannot find Zante currants. Where do you guys get them?

I have never made a Winexpert kit before .
I have copied and pasted this from a newsletter :
ECLIPSE: THE BEST WINE YOU CAN MAKE AT HOME

The Winexpert Eclipse project was three years in the making with the ultimate goal of producing the best wine kit ever. Simply put – Eclipse is for those who want to make the highest quality wine possible.

Each style is double-blind tested by the Andrew Peller Ltd. professional tasting panel and must meet or exceed commercial wine in the $30 - $45 price range before being released. Eclipse offers the best of both worlds: it's good at 3 months of aging, but also holds generous rewards for those who age it much longer. Choose from 11 styles.

What do you all think about this ? :b

That's awesome! I hope it's not a sales pitch. Where did you discover this?

Wild!!!! So if you tweak it plus barrel age it my lord if you age it lol..... you're in for a treat

Is there any way to purchase extra grape packs? Also, I cannot find Zante currants. Where do you guys get them?

In Texas we can get Zsnte currants at Whole Foods Markets. You might also find Red Flame raisins but go easy and expect the raisin taste to come through. Someone posted earlier where to get grape packs. Do a forum search.

Sorry, I couldn't get past the Petit Verdot with no grapepak!

Right, somewhat strange that a full body red wouldn't have skins. Wonder if this is a somewhat tame PV? Truthfully the last PV I tried, which was a late harvest, was intensely flavorful almost to a fault (and I never thought I would say that!). If this one exceeded the intensity of a typical big red I would be pleased. I am tempted to try it simply based on the general good results people seem to have with the limited release kits. Hopefully Vineco know what they are doing!

Last edited:
Personally, I would like to know why at this point all the LE/LR/RQ reds do not come with grape skins. There may not be just one reason, of course.

Personally, I would like to know why at this point all the LE/LR/RQ reds do not come with grape skins. There may not be just one reason, of course.

I have made a post on this but couldn't find it in search so here goes again.

After several emails with Tim V., when he worked for Wine Expert, this is what I came away with. 1) it is sometimes very hard to get grape packs made in some agricultural areas due to facilities, desire and most often local laws restricting the export of some grape products. Italy being especially difficult. 2) It is particularly difficult to provide grape packs varietal specific. Assigning every kit either Cabernet, Merlot or Syrah grape pack didn't always work. The goal was to have varietal specific grape packs. 3) Cost. RQs, LEs, LRs are all supposed to be unique and extra special finds. They are often from small single vineyard lots and thus cost more, adding the expense of a grape pack takes some out of the target price point.

And I'll offer up my own 4) Grape packs can be a great addition to a wine kit but they are not the be all and end all for me. The first limited Petit Verdot that WE came out with several years ago didn't have a grape pack but turned out to make a superlative wine. A couple years later they added PV to their line with a grape pack and it was so-so. The limited was a "special find", all the stars had aligned. The subsequent production was not as good even with grape pack. To me grape packs are a wonderful tool in our winemaking tool kit and no doubt add some body to our wine but I believe great juice makes great wine in the kit world.

Last edited:
Right, somewhat strange that a full body red wouldn't have skins. Wonder if this is a somewhat tame PV? Truthfully the last PV I tried, which was a late harvest, was intensely flavorful almost to a fault (and I never thought I would say that!). If this one exceeded the intensity of a typical big red I would be pleased. I am tempted to try it simply based on the general good results people seem to have with the limited release kits. Hopefully Vineco know what they are doing!

Well, I tried a RQ Zinfandel/Petit Syrah from WE that was a non-grape pack and color, body and mouthfeel were all dissappointing, though it did taste pretty good after several tweaks, aging and a bottle or two of topping up or should I say blending with Bogle Petit Syrah.

I have never made a Winexpert kit before .
I have copied and pasted this from a newsletter :
ECLIPSE: THE BEST WINE YOU CAN MAKE AT HOME

The Winexpert Eclipse project was three years in the making with the ultimate goal of producing the best wine kit ever. Simply put – Eclipse is for those who want to make the highest quality wine possible.

Each style is double-blind tested by the Andrew Peller Ltd. professional tasting panel and must meet or exceed commercial wine in the $30 - $45 price range before being released. Eclipse offers the best of both worlds: it's good at 3 months of aging, but also holds generous rewards for those who age it much longer. Choose from 11 styles.

What do you all think about this ? :b
I have the WE Eclipse Lodi Zinfandel and Sonoma Chardonnay aging now and results are yet to be determined. I'm staking those and a yet to be made Barossa Shiraz on my future kit making career. (then maybe on to frozen grapes)

Unfortunately, if that would be the thought, you have hinged your kit making career on one (most likely 3) incredible kits. I have a OV Zin aging in a carboy now that has not been tweaked, only omitted the sorbate, followed the directions to a tee, topped off with two bottles of Bogle OVZ, and is waiting for an opening in either my neutral Vadai barrel or new French barrel. I have to say, it may not need it. I find it has great legs great taste and mouthfeel, but as all my kits, lacks aroma. Just tasted last night and was incredibly impressed. I have, however, already ordered my first two frozen musts this week. We will see if I stay with kits, but the price for frozen grapes is almost ridiculous!

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

If I remember correctly, the WE Esc OVZ didn't have any post-ferm oak and might be a good candidate for your French barrel, I know I added more french Oak while bulk aging (just bottled and seems to be full-bodied and fruit forward) I guess I could postpone the frozen grape idea for now and go with a barrel, which is about the only tweak I haven't tried. Fortunately I do like high end kits but basically throw everything away but the juice and grapepack. I don't care much for Hungrian oak and use French, always switch out the EC1118 and don't even think about sorbate. Lately have been skipping the finings (except bentenite) and just let gravity's pull do the work just fine w/with bulk ageing. Even use my own KMS because I think the 5grams is too much to add at one time after fermentation and may inhibit the color on reds.

Latest posts

Back